cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel keep opening an old version of a file

Excel keep opening an old version of a file

jad007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all.

I use a tablet (Samsung) to open excel 'quote sheets' that are stored on dropbox. I always open the same file then use the 'save as' to save it under the customer's name.

The problem is when there has been a slight alteration to the original file, my tablet seems to want to open the version before! The only way I can stop it doing this is to call the 'quote sheets' something slightly different ('quote sheet 1'). I do go onto drop box and have that file available offline and when the 'quote sheet' has been altered it does update itself so drop box knows that there is a newer version but as soon as I open it with excel the old version pops up again!

Anybody had this issue?

I have put this question on the Microsoft website and they said it was a dropbox problem! (Passing the buck comes to mind!)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_other-mso_o365b/excel-keep-ope...

Thanks in advance 😉

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jad007

Just to be clear:

• you’re locating the offline file in using our app 

• then you're using the Open With option to open it with Excel

• you edit the file and Save it, by tapping on Save (not save as a new name)

• you are connected to the internet, and the file updates it’s online copy

Keep in mind that while you’re on a WiFi connection, the changes will automatically sync to your online account. If you’re on a cellular/mobile network only, you must update the file manually by going to the Offline Files and tapping Update all. 

Can you please confirm that you’re following the above steps, and then let me know the outcome? 

Also, please make sure that your devices are fully updated with operating system updates, that you’re on the latest version of our mobile app, and that your Microsoft Office app is on the latest version. 

Let me know.
Thanks! 

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Out of interest does the same thing happen in other applications (e.g. Word?)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jad007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi therer

Yes it does. Everything works fine on a laptop but as soon as we use the tablets this problem occurs!

Many thanks

Joe

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Are you opening the file from within Excel by selecting Dropbox in connected services, or are you opening the file from within the Dropbox app, using the Export/Open In option to send the file to Excel?

jad007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We open it through drop box under files offline. It does sometimes say that the file is out of date but it will then download the latest version. When we opening 'the latest version' through dropbox, it then opens up excel then shows us an older version of it.

Mobity
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!,

Check out the following:

Verify if the "save" window of the Microsoft Word does not save all new files as "only read" file.

Change the name of the file (customer name) before you start to work on it, once the file is done, use just "save" button and not "save as".

Regards!

jad007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Mobity wrote:

Hi!,

Check out the following:

Verify if the "save" window of the Microsoft Word does not save all new files as "only read" file.

Change the name of the file (customer name) before you start to work on it, once the file is done, use just "save" button and not "save as".

Regards!

Hi there

With regards to the 'read only' there is nothing that I can change as you can see on the screen shot below

thumbnailhhh.jpg

With regards to the save under a different name. This does work. Bu the question was excel and word keeps opening an old version of a file. Why does it keep opening a file that was updated 1 - 2 weeks ago?

Many thanks

Joe

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jad007

Just to be clear:

• you’re locating the offline file in using our app 

• then you're using the Open With option to open it with Excel

• you edit the file and Save it, by tapping on Save (not save as a new name)

• you are connected to the internet, and the file updates it’s online copy

Keep in mind that while you’re on a WiFi connection, the changes will automatically sync to your online account. If you’re on a cellular/mobile network only, you must update the file manually by going to the Offline Files and tapping Update all. 

Can you please confirm that you’re following the above steps, and then let me know the outcome? 

Also, please make sure that your devices are fully updated with operating system updates, that you’re on the latest version of our mobile app, and that your Microsoft Office app is on the latest version. 

Let me know.
Thanks! 

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    jad007 Explorer | Level 4
    Mobity New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?