cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel on Ipad Won't Save to Dropbox

Excel on Ipad Won't Save to Dropbox

Kreos
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having an issue saving excel onto my dropbox folder from an iPad. I cannot duplicate this issue on my computer though. I run into the issue when trying to save an excel for iPad file into a folder. I get the error message: "That file name won't work because it includes invalid characters or it's too long. Please try a different name". I have tried multiples of different names and it still will not work. I find it odd that this is only an issue from the iPad and that I have saved an identical length name 20 minutes before this issue from the iPad. There is no issue uploading the excel sheet into the same folder with the same name from my Mac.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey psachse60, welcome to the Dropbox Community & thanks for posting here on the matter! 

You may keep in mind the issue is currently actively investigated here by Frank_S, who has been following all existing cases affected internally, though it appears that this has been resolved for some users. I’d happily look into that with you, though I’d just need a little more info: 

•  Initially, assuming that you’re running the latest version of the Dropbox application on your phone (82.2), can you also ensure you’ve installed all OS updates? Also, ensuring that you’re running the latest version of the third-party app, where you’re editing your files on your phone is also advisable. 
  • Secondly, could you include a step-by-step description of the behavior, so that I make sure to re-create on my end & understand what you’re experiencing? 

Thanks again & once we have this info, I’ll do my best to analyze the case with you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Allin1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Mine has just started doing this now. Im getting the same msg as you. 

My folder is shared and other ipad is having the same dramas. I cant work out how to fix it

AirPirate
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue. No problems saving from PC (Windows 7). Only problem is from iPads (at least three) using Excel App running ios11 and also ios10. No previous issues using the same file for the last two months. The file path does not exceed 260 characters.

Gap8784
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Snap same issues, I am using iPad Pro, only started last couple of days.

Does anyone have any ideas?

@Kreos wrote:

I am having an issue saving excel onto my dropbox folder from an iPad. I cannot duplicate this issue on my computer though. I run into the issue when trying to save an excel for iPad file into a folder. I get the error message: "That file name won't work because it includes invalid characters or it's too long. Please try a different name". I have tried multiples of different names and it still will not work. I find it odd that this is only an issue from the iPad and that I have saved an identical length name 20 minutes before this issue from the iPad. There is no issue uploading the excel sheet into the same folder with the same name from my Mac.

Allin1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I've been on the live chat with drop box. Other files are saving ok. There saying it's excel. Live chatted office excel they were useless. I can save to drop box via pc and my phone but not iPad :s

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Are you getting any errors etc.?

Unfortunately Dropbox is correct. The issue with saving the files is the responsibility of Excel

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Allin1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi Mark. This is the error were getting

That file name won't work because it includes invalid characters or it's too long. Please try a different name"

I've been using the iPad for over a year with no issues saving files until yesterday

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Did Excel update overnight?

My iPad is at work so cant check versions.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Kreos
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
No, my excel is the same version it has always been. weird that it stopped working one day.

Kreos
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Excel saves to the iPad fine with the same file name just doesn't save into dropbox.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

annietran Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    psachse60 New member | Level 2
    RAM3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?