cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox attachment in gmail

Dropbox attachment in gmail

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

I've spoken with our Engineering team about this, who have confirmed that the 'Attach from Dropbox' option no longer being available is the result of an update to the Android OS and Gmail app, specifically Storage Access Framework. This means that the option to Attach from Dropbox will no longer be available.

As others have stated, to attach files, you will need to select Attach File in Gmail, open the hamburger menu on the left, select Dropbox, then choose the files to be uploaded. 

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

251 Replies 251

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on the forum today, @erlend w.!

As a first, can you send me a screenshot of the specific error you're receiving? 

Other than that, have you tried to add other attachments from Dropbox to Gmail on your Android 12 device, and the same error appears?

Keep me posted for more updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

It is very difficult to make a Screenshot from the message, since it only appears  2 seconds and then disappears.  But i will try.

The attachment ( a photo  in jpg format) sometimes appear for a second and then disappear,  before the message appears

The  email is then automatically   put in the outbox and after a while it is automatically put in concepts, without attachment.

I tried several other files from the same dropbox, with the same result, also other formats, txt, doc, instead of jpg, without succes. 

Attachments from other cloud services, like Mega or google drive are possible.

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

Screenshot of the message in Dutch.Screenshot_20230714_181736_Gmail.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @erlend w., do you have the Gmail add-on for Dropbox on your email? 

If not, can you try installing it as mentioned here, and trying to attach your file that way?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

This addon is installed. Makes no difference.

For your information: if I start in dropbox, select a file and share this with Gmail,  it works.

When I start from Gmail and try to add a file from dropbox, the attachment is refused.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @erlend w., but does this happen with any file? Regardless of the size or file type?

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the Gmail app at all, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

Hey!

Indeed, it happens with all the files from dropbox, regardless format and size.

Gmail and Dropbox apps have been re-installed.  

Sorry to say, but thanks for your ideas

RMadruga
Helpful | Level 6
Hi! Sorry to jump in but I started having the same issu yesterday. Did you find any solution?
I can attach files from other drives and local phone storage, I can share a file from the dropbox app directly choosing gmail after, I cannot write a new email on Gmail app and attach a file from dropbox. It disappears and an erros message shows up.

Ecles
Explorer | Level 4
Isso está acontecendo comigo também, quando uso o smartphone e tento anexar arquivos de qualquer pasta do meu dropbox ao enviar um email (gmail), aparece a mesma mensagem dizendo que não foi possível anexar os arquivos. Testei tanto para arquivos em PDF e em DOC do "word" também. Porém, usando o notebook, eu consegui enviar os mesmos arquivos. E o meu smartphone está anexando imagens salvas no próprio aparelho, razão pela qual percebi se tratar de um problema de conectividade entre o dropbox e o smartphone, talvez pela versão do android como a pessoa relatou acima.

This is happening to me too, when I use the smartphone and try to attach files from any folder in my dropbox when sending an email (gmail), the same message appears saying that it was not possible to attach the files. I tested both PDF and DOC files from "word" as well. However, using the notebook, I was able to send the same files. And my smartphone is attaching images saved on the device itself, which is why I realized that it was a connectivity problem between dropbox and the smartphone, perhaps due to the android version as the person reported above.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jpp995 Explorer | Level 4
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    Metro Board S. Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?