cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How much space does Dropbox take up on my phone & how can I free up some of it?

Hi!

When I install Dropbox on a smartphone, if my Dropbox account is 1GB, that space is occupied in the internal memory of my smartphone?

On the computer, I choose which folders I want to synchronize so I save space on my laptop's SSD. On the smartphone can I do something similar and choose only the folders I want to synchronize?

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

2 Replies

Re: Space in the internal memory of my smartphone

Level 2
Hello,

You're phone can't just occupy 1GB of you're dropbox space so it should be something else. Do you have any other files on you account?

At the moment you cant sync files from your phone's official dropbox application, but i know an application for andoid which can do the job.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync

I don't know i you're an iPhone or an Android user so i hope i helped you with this...

Kind regeards,

Rico

Re: Space in the internal memory of my smartphone

Dropboxer
Hey luisflores2012, that’s a great question & thanks for taking the time to ask here on the mobile app functionality! 

For starters, let me briefly refer back to an earlier reply on this discussion, where I tried to flesh out with some more info that may as well address your inquiry here:

our mobile app doesn’t take up any physical space on your phone, as the files are temporarily cached. [Note: Items that you make available offline will take up space until they are removed. The Dropbox app also stores certain items in cache for a quicker loading experience in our app, such as previewing documents, PDFs, and photos. These items are only cached for a certain period of time, and then the app will clear this space automatically (based on when the file was last viewed and the amount of space you have on your device).]

That said, there isn’t currently an option to Selectively sync your files to your phone, as these are mere previews of your files. Just in case you’d like to like to save up some space on your phone, you could clear the Dropbox cache: 

- As you’ve mentioned that you’re working on an android device, you can tap the Menu on the top left of your screen> Then tap the gear icon gear Settings at the bottom & scroll down a bit. It should be under the Advanced features

ClearCacheScreenieandroid.png

- If someone is using an iOS device (& they reach this thread with the same question), you can see that option if you got to your Account tab 👤(bottom-right) > Then click on the gear icongear (top-left) & it should be towards the middle of your screen. 

ClearCacheScreenie.png

I hope that this sheds some more 💡on your initial question & please let me know here if you'd like me to clarify any of the above in more detail Luis!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How much space does Dropbox take up on my phone & how can I free up some of it?
2 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post