Known issues - updated June 18th see more

How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

SOLVED
Go to solution
309 Comments
750 Kudos
Level 1

How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

I want to clear all the Recent file list, there has no clear function please advise how to clear the list.
Thanks & regards

Swe Tin

3 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

Hi there!

I'm afraid that there is no way to disable the Recents tab from the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device. However, we love hearing feedback on any features that we release, so I'll make sure to pass it along.

Thanks!

Solution

iPhone SOLUTION

This works on my iPhone 5c

1. Select file you want removed from recent list.

2. Make available offline.

3. Go back to recents

4. select offline on bottom of iPhone

5. select file in offline list

6. Remove from device.

7. go back to recents and you will see it is gone.

You will also want to go to DropBox.Com with your browser and delete the recents on their website a file at a time.

Solution
New Super User

This post is being offered to help any other Dropbox users that find themselves in the same situation I was in regarding cleaning up (not necessarily clearing) the Recent's list in the mobile version of Dropbox.

My situation:

File originated on mobile and put in local Dropbox. Sync occurred so file propagated to desktop, online and mobile installations of Dropbox, as expected.

I deleted the file using my desktop Dropbox. The online version of Dropbox moved it to “Deleted files” section (not Recents). I guess since I didn’t manipulate the file with the online version of Dropbox, it didn’t consider it a recent file. Just speculating.

Although the deleted file was no longer in the file list on mobile, it did remain in its Recents list. I’m calling this a paper-trail. (History of activity but no actual file)

Trying to clear the paper trail on the mobile device by selecting and deleting an item from the Recents list resulted in the following error since the file was no longer present: "Deletion Failed There was a problem deleting “xyz.pdf"

My Solution:
My solution was to uninstall Dropbox from the mobile device and reinstall it. The paper trail for the deleted file was purged and all files that resided in the Recents section of the online version of Dropbox were sync’d with the mobile Recents list. No more broken links to missing files on my mobile device. The Recents list was’t clear but it was cleaned-up and sync’d with online Dropbox.

Although Dropbox hasn’t implemented a way to delete or clear the Recents list on mobile, they should at least add an option to refresh so it accurately reflects what’s in the Recent’s list online without having to uninstall and reinstall the program. It seems the mobile Recents list is the only thing that isn’t directly synchronized with the true state of its files.

Dropbox, if you’re listening, a “Clear Recent Items” option should exist on all platforms and be propagated throughout the account or at the very least, effect the local list of recent files where the option is selected.

309 Replies
Solution
Dropboxer

Hi there!

I'm afraid that there is no way to disable the Recents tab from the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device. However, we love hearing feedback on any features that we release, so I'll make sure to pass it along.

Thanks!

Level 1

Marie
Thanks for your answer, my question is not to disable the Recent Tab, but to clear the list only. This is for privacy and personal preference. Appreciate Dropbox team can add this function in next update.

regards

Swe Tin

Dropboxer

Hi there!

Same goes for clearing the Recents tab, it's not a feature that is possible for the moment, but I'll pass your comments along slightly smiling face

Level 1

Please include option for clearing recent files viewed or clearing selected files from recent list. 

Level 1

+1 This should be easy to add - and very important for privacy reasons when using a shared device.

Dropboxer

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback all.

I have passed on your feedback to our team. 

Do let me know if there's anything else I can help with! 

Thanks! 

Level 1

This is a serious problem. I would not have used Dropbox had I known about this oversight.

Level 1

I also feel that this is a security issue that needs resolving quickly!

Dropboxer

Hi there, 

Thanks for writing back about this. 

I understand your concern. The files that appear in your Dropbox are files that are anyway stored in your account and we only surface the ones that have been recently modified by yourself. 

I have passed on your comments. 

Many thanks! 

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4690
Mark 3651
Jane 1029
Tom_M 886
Greg K. 799