cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to upload files then delete from mobile device but not have files deleted from DropBox?

Can I delete photos from my phone after uploading them without deleting them from Dropbox too?

Jonathan B.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's the essence of the problem: I have DropBox Pro installed on an iPhone 5s, iPad Air, MacBook Pro and Windows desktop computer. I do NOT want to clog up my iPhone, iPad and MacBook with files from DropBox. I want to simply upload and then delete them from the mobile devices. I'd like to use automatic Camera Upload but when I delete the photos from my iPhone or iPad I do NOT want them deleted from DropBox...as has happened on numerous occasions (most recently when I exchanged a broken iPhone for a new one and then tried to copy content from one to the other and subsequently delete unwanted photos...on the iPhone, not "unwanted" from my DropBox space). So how do I do a one way sync? Keep in mind that after photos appear in the Camera Upload folder, I MOVE them to a different desired location...and when they're deleted from my iPhone, they are still deleted from the new location!

45 Replies 45

imightbewrong
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why not drag them off your phone into the 'camera uploads' folder on your PC - that will take care of it initally.

I suspect your videos are not uploaded because you have selected 'photos only' in the 'what to upload' menu in the app.

Ethan11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi, um, does the same apply to videos? Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Ethan11

Welcome on the Dropbox Community!

You may keep in mind that, should you use the Camera Uploads functionality to upload your videos, the originals remain on your phone gallery intact, so you'll have to manually remove your videos locally from your phone to free up some space. 

I hope this helps you clarify the matter! If you need additional details or assistance, please keep me updated in your reply, I'd be glad to follow-up! 

Warm regards, 
Jane

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

joefilmmaker
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Would love that carousel clean up feature. Any progress?

joefilmmaker
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
I must disagree with the idea that the camera app should be responsible for cleanup as Dropbox, not the camera app, is the one that knows if the sync has been successful

dwlloyd810
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
@Elizabeth R.22 wrote:

Hi I am new to Dropbox & I have downloaded all my photos into my Dropbox on my PC & now I am wanting to delete the photos off my iPhone & iPad what I want to know is will I lose them from my Dropbox on my PC if I delete them off my mobile devices please help 

As I understand this issue and the conflicting reports I see, one must distinguish between copied files and synced folders. If you delete a file from a synced folder, you delete it from Dropbox, and consequently from all of your synced devices; but if you delete a file you copied to Dropbox that is not in a synced Dropbox folder, there is no link between your local copy and the Dropbox copy, so the file remains in Dropbox.  

To use dropbox to clear files from your phone:
1) Select the files,
2) Select "Cut,"
3) Select a Dropbox folder, and
4) Select "Paste." (Copy and paste works also, but you will duplicate the files, using twice as much space. )
5) Make sure the files have been synced to Dropbox.
6) Make sure the files are no longer in the original location.
7) DO NOT DELETE FILES FROM THE SYNCED FOLDER, but 
😎 Clear the Dropbox cache to free up space on your phone.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?