cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't open Word/Excel files on iPad/iPhone

I can't open Word/Excel files on iPad/iPhone

Mogens Ø.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi.

I've searched the forum/web and can't seem to find any answer to this problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago I could edit in all Office-files in Dropbox via both iPad and iPhone.

Then earlier this week I suddenly can't do this, and I'm asked to log-in with a 365 subscription.

Has there been a change I haven'r been awere of, and do I now have to have an active 365 subscription?

I use Dropbox basic, and the files are .docx and .xlsx.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

/Mogens Østergaard, Denmark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Contact support

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Replies may take a few days but you can track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

I'm wondering if maybe the apps need uninstalling and reinstalling to 'pull down' that you're no longer a Team user. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you joined a Dropbox Team?

If so its a requirement, from Microsoft, that Teams/Business accounts hold a valid Office 365 account to edit files. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mogens Ø.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Mark.

I am admin of a team in my dropbox.

But one of my colleagues can edit in her excel when she takes the file from her iPad and saves it in the team folder.

All of my other files in dropbox is also not possible to edit - also the ones i haven't shared or is in a team-folder.

Can I change to sharing folder with the persons in my team, and then we can edit in the files?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its done on an account basis. If you want to keep the Office editing capability you will need to 'leave' the team and join the folders via a standard Shared Folder. 

Its possible that your colleague has an Office licence, its a bug letting her do something it shouldn't or she's not using MS's own software. 

Mogens Ø.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK, thanks.

But this does not explain why I can't edit my other files does it? The files only I have acces to?

Do you have an idea of why I could edit until a couple of weeks ago then? Only thing changed is that i created the teamfolder as admin.

Sorry for the many questions - i'm just wondering why this has been changed the past weeks.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

What other files? As soon as you set up a Team account you stop being able to edit ANY office files from your Dropbox account as you need an Office 365 licence. It isnt just inside that one folder. Its done at account level.

Only thing changed is that i created the teamfolder as admin.

Yes.... and as I said - as soon as you did that you now need to have an Office 365 licence to continue to use Office products on the iPad/website. 

Mogens Ø.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok thank you very much. 

So so if I delete the team folder and shares a folder like I have done before then I can edit? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need to leave the Team completely. 

See https://help.dropbox.com/business/free-teams-overview

Mogens Ø.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes I will leave the team and remove the folders to my own folder and then share from there?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yup 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Mogens Ø. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?