cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new mail

Level 2

Im trying to use my phone more on the move.

At the moment i can draft an email and use the insert attachment function, however, this function doesn't allow me to view my files first. Also the file search is completely hit and miss. Im searching for files that i know exist and yielding nothing. 

So i thought i would use the app, search the files i need efficiently, and be able to view them, Perfect!!! Accept its not perfect because i have no way of attaching my files to the email i just spent 25 minutes writing.

So to recap, Option 1: Use the insert attachment function in the email ive just written. Cant view the files i want to double check they are correct. very temperamental file search so difficult to find the files in the first place. 

Option 2: Use the dropbox app to search and view my files with ease. Cant attach files to emails ive just spent time writing. 

Before anyone suggests that i find the file i want in the dropbox app and export it to the mail app, where i can copy and paste my written email in. That only solves the problem if im sending one file at a time. Which I never am. 

Any help would be amazing, you be saving me the hassle of buying even more technology. 

5 Replies

Re: I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new m

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Craig, are you using an Android or iOS device? Additionally, which mailing app are you using, if not the default app on your device?

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new m

Level 2

Hello Jay, 

I have an iphone XR and im using the iOS mail app, not a thrird party app. 

Kind regards, Craig 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for that. Since you’re on iOS, there is the iOS Files app, which links to multiple cloud providers.

iOS Mail can’t attach files from the Dropbox mobile app directly, however it should be able to do so from the albums on your phone and the Files app. Therefore, you could import Dropbox images and files from there.

You might need to download the files first through the Files app, and then you can open your email, write something, and attach a file through there.

Could you try this out on a test email to see if it works out that way?

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Ive solved it, Ive downloaded the Microsoft outlook email app and it works perfectly with dropbox. I can write an email, then browse and attach drop box files without leaving the outlook app. Wunderbar !!!!!

Shocked the iOS mail app is so cumbersome.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
No worries, I’m glad to hear that you found a solution to this matter!

Have a great weekend ahead. slightly smiling face

Jay

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I want to use the iOS dropbox app, select a file, and attach to a pre-written email, NOT a new mail
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post