Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Only sync some folders on Android?

Level 3

My wife & I use Dropbox for Android to upload our phone photos to Dropbox.

Our son takes alot of good photos, and we wanted to upload his photos to our Dropbox also. We installed Dropbox on our Son's phone, and it's uploading photos from all of his folders, including the stuff & memes he shares with friends on Discord, Twitter, etc.

Can we configure Dropbox to only sync photos taken with the Camera? What folders does Dropbox for Android try to sync and is that configurable?

5 Replies

Re: Only sync some folders on Android?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Stefan L.10 - how are you today?

How is he uploading those files to begin with if I may ask? Are those files located in his Camera Roll? 

I am only asking since the automatic camera upload feature uploads all photos and videos from the "Camera" and "Screenshots" albums on your connected devices while it's also worth mentioning that when it comes to the mobile version, the Dropbox app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device - meaning that there's no sync taking place in essence. Read on for more context: 

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection.

I hope this information clarifies matters for you and please let me know if there's anything I can assist with from my end. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

The photos are being uploaded by Dropbox's 'Camera uploads' feature. It looks like all these extraneous photos are in the 'Screenshots' album. The good images are in the 'Camera' folder. Can we disable the automatic uploads for the 'Screenshots' folder?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Stefan L.10 - Happy new Year and apologies for the slightly delayed response; I home my message finds you well.

As per your last inquiry now, note that you can disable syncing your screenshots in Preferences of your Dropbox by following these steps: 

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen by the clock (Windows) or in the menu bar at the top right of your screen (Mac or Linux).
  2. Click the Gear icon.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click Import.
  5. Uncheck "Save screenshots to your personal Dropbox". 

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Thanks Walter. Is it possible to do this directly from Android? If I do this from my Windows client, does it also disable the feature on our linked Android phones?

Dropboxer

Yes it would in that case @Stefan L.10 - and to better clarify, you cannot choose which folder(s) the feature uploads from, however I will make sure to pass this feedback along to our dev team.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Walter

Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Only sync some folders on Android?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post