cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

no

Highlighted

Rename before saving in Dropbox Android app

Level 5
Hi. When I'm using Dropbox for iOS I can easily rename a file before saving. Right there, in the same "choose folder to save" screen. I just have to touch in the filename. But in the Android version of the app I can't do this. When trying to share something to my Dropbox app I can only choose which folder I want save, or even create I new folder, but I'm not able to rename. Only after I have already saved the file that I will be able to rename it. That's a big issue, specially because a lot of apps, when exporting a file, usually generate a file with the same name (photo.jpg for example), and when I try to save to Dropbox, I have to check if there isn't another file in the folder with the same name, otherwise it will be automatically replaced by the new one. That's very annoying when you are trying to organize your pictures, documents and etc. Am I doing something wrong, or is this really a feature that is only available for iOS app? If it is, please, it's about time Android have an app just as good as iOS version. That is no excuses for that.
Tags (1)
8 Replies

Re: Rename before saving in Dropbox Android app

Dropboxer
Hey there, @rogeriotitan!

Could you please provide some additional info so as to have a better understanding of the steps you’re taking so as to have a better understanding? 

For example, is this for new or existing files in your mobile device? Could you also let me know if this is in regards to specific file types or if you’re using a specific third party app to save them in your Dropbox account via the mobile app? 

Finally, any screenshots illustrating this behavior (without including personal info) would be very helpful to have a clearer image of what you’re seeing. 

Thanks in advance! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5
It's is when exporting a file from any other app via Android native sharing system to Dropbox. It's in the Dropbox screen right before saving a file. I'm reproducing this is a Pixel 2 XL. I could see the same behavior in a Nexus 5x too. I'm gonna send a picture.

Level 5

Screenshot_20190206-204307.png

Level 5

This is a very simple example when trying to send a screenshot taken from my Pixel using the button "Add to Dropbox". I will always get a screen like this, that I can only choose a folder to save, or create a new one, but I can't rename the file. Only after the file is already saved in a Dropbox is when I'll be able to rename it.

Screenshot_20190206-204307 (1).png

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, they definitely helped me run a few tests from my end as well. Please note that I’ve removed some personal info included in your images attached for security and privacy purposes. 

As per your query, although this seems to be OS-specific as it’s the device that’s saving the file in a different location, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments to the dev team for review. 

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions! grinning face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Please, pass it for the dev team. It's a much needed update. I love dropbox, but not so much when using it in an android phone just because of this missing feature. If it's possible to do on iOS, I'm sure they can implement this on Android as well. Thank you for your attention.

oRe: Rename before saving in Dropbox Android app

Level 2

I need this a lot too.
I've been using new folders every time I need to save a receipt (receipt.pdf) from a bank transfer.
Hope it gets implemented!

slightly smiling face

[Edit: misspelling]

Level 5
Exactly, Ianrbf. That’s a very good example. It’s something so simple and easy to do on iOS. I don’t know why it hasn’t implemented on android yet. It makes very hard to organize our files when we are downloading them to our Dropbox folders
Mobile

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Rename before saving in Dropbox Android app
More about this post
8 Replies
4 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post