Unable to see portrait mode pics in dropbox after upload from iphone 7 plus

Pics are getting normal after upload for portrait mode pics
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Unable to see portrait mode pics in dropbox after upload from iphone 7 plus

Hey @Palasjai

We generally can’t troubleshoot beta versions of iOS, however, this issue seems to be with the way our Camera Uploads handles the images (thanks @jefish), so I'll be passing on your comments to our team, so they’re aware.

In the meantime, can you try manually uploading these images, and let me know if the results are more favorable? Also, can you confirm that this only happens with portrait-mode photos? 

Thanks!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

59 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @Palasjai, welcome to our community! 

Can you tell me a bit more about this? How are you uploading your pictures, manually, or with Camera Uploads? 

Also, what version of iOS are you using on your iPhone 7+, and what version of our app are you on?

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Thanks!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 5

Hi Sanchez,
Well I'm using camera upload function in my phone.my dropbox version is 66.2.8 and i'm using the ios 11.1 public beta 2.
My portrait mode pics become normal after upload into dropbox.
Level 4

Same here, on iOS 11.02 and iPhone 8 Plus.

I think the problem is the portrait mode feature to edit pictures afterwards. I still haven't found a way to save just the version of the picture I want.

Gerald 

Level 5

It seems that Dropbox is picking up the "raw" version of the files for upload.

To repro the problem:

1) On an iPhone 7/8 Plus, compose a new photo in Portrait mode

2) Allow Dropbox to identify and upload the photo

3) Compare the photo on the phone vs the photo on the computer

The iphone will display the enhanced color and blurred background, all of which is lost/abandoned after the upload is complete.

Dropbox needs to identify and upload the same photo that the user sees on the iPhone, since that's the version he or she composed and saved.

Level 5

Here's an interesting detail: The Dopbox auto-uploader does not pick up the "fancy" Portrait mode photo, as noted in this thread.

However, if you manually choose to upload the photo through the Dropbox UI, the Portrait mode effects are retained.

So Dropbox DOES have access to the correct photo, it's just that the auto-uploader is choosing the wrong file.

Solution
Dropboxer

Hey @Palasjai

We generally can’t troubleshoot beta versions of iOS, however, this issue seems to be with the way our Camera Uploads handles the images (thanks @jefish), so I'll be passing on your comments to our team, so they’re aware.

In the meantime, can you try manually uploading these images, and let me know if the results are more favorable? Also, can you confirm that this only happens with portrait-mode photos? 

Thanks!

slightly smiling face

Dropboxer

Hey @Telespieler, welcome to our community! 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here. Would you mind trying @jefish’s suggestion, and manually upload your images to Dropbox, instead of using our Camera Uploads feature?

And can you also confirm that this issue is only with portrait-mode photos?

Let me know how it works out. 
Cheers

slightly smiling face

Level 5

Yes, photos uploaded to Dropbox, using the Dropbox app's manual file uploader, do arrive with all applied photo effects intact. The auto-uploader has a problem though. slightly smiling face

Please note that this is not an iOS beta issue. ANY photo effects you choose while taking a photo, or add to an existing photo, are not uploaded properly by the Dropbox auto-uploader. This includes filters, coloration, and even cropping and rotation. Portrait Mode photos are a new (and beta) thing, but this is much more widespread than that.

Dropboxer

Hey @jefish, welcome to our forum! 

Thanks for pointing out the difference in upload method concerning the photo effects. I have asked the guys above to try out your suggestions and confirm. Once I hear back from them, I’ll send your comments over to our team so that they’re aware. 

Cheers winking face

slightly smiling face

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 4691
Mark 3652
Jane 1029
Tom_M 886
Greg K. 799