cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: changes for samsung users

What do the changes for Samsung users mean?

beckers1974
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! Just read the info on the changes taking effect in April, and wondering what this means for me getting images etc from my Samsung devices to my dropbox account. Will I still be able to upload via the app, or do I have to transfer to my laptop first and send from there?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You'll still be able to upload and access your files through the Dropbox app. It's just the integration into Samsung's own apps that will no longer be available. This is due to Samsung using an older Dropbox API that is being retired.

View solution in original post

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @kentkent thanks for checking in! :slight_smile: :iphone:

To further elaborate on the upcoming changes, please understand that the Dropbox app will still work on Samsung devices and your synced data will remain safely stored. :locked:

Essentially, the only thing changing is the built-in Samsung apps and services (The Gallery and MyFiles applications) on Samsung devices, which will not be able to access Dropbox like they did previously. 

This is because they rely on an API of Dropbox that will be retired on April 1, 2018. Your data in Dropbox is safe, but you'll need to use the Dropbox app from the Google Play store to use Dropbox on those devices.

Again, no need to worry as you'll still be able to access and edit files on your Samsung devices, but you'll need to do so through the Dropbox app available at the Google Play store.

To read up on this matter in a little more detail, feel free to have a look at this article: 

Hope this helps shed a little more light on the matter, and if you have any further questions, just leave them below, and we'll get back to you. Thanks and happy Friday! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to contact Samsung then. It was Samsung that built that functionality into their own apps. It was Samsung that failed to update their applications to use the new Dropbox API (and they had over a year to do so).

This is not a Dropbox issue and Dropbox has no control over how Samsung chooses to integrate the service into their own products.

19 Replies 19

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You'll still be able to upload and access your files through the Dropbox app. It's just the integration into Samsung's own apps that will no longer be available. This is due to Samsung using an older Dropbox API that is being retired.

beckers1974
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi! That's brilliant - thank you so much for the advice, and your time!

Shrewdfoxtrot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I also wonder if anyone else is unhappy with this new change? Especially those who pay for extra space like me? Now having to stop, open drop box app upload to phone then try to go bk to what I was doing before those extra steps to share a pic from my phone gallery will be costing them my business from my android and iphone👎🏻😖🙁😣😡

kentkent
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have received an email from you regarding change of Dropbox for Samsung devices per. April 1, 2018.

However, I do not fully understand the significance of the change.

Does it mean that as a user of Samsung mobile / tablet can no longer get their photos and videos AUTOMATICALLY uploaded to Dropbox so we need to upload manually?

Can you still insert a photo from Dropbox in an MMS?

Normally, I will delete recently recorded photos on my SamsungMobil via the "Gallery" as we can see in the Gallery that photos are now both on the mobile and in Dropbox (so I can save space on the phone). Rarely, a photo has not been unallocated to Dropbox. In other words, I would like to go to Dropbox in the future to check up photos have been uploaded before I can delete it on my mobile?

We pay 99 euros a year to have Dropbox PLUS, and of course we do not expect our terms to be significantly worse.

Sincerely

Bente Kent
Kastrup, Denmark

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @kentkent thanks for checking in! :slight_smile: :iphone:

To further elaborate on the upcoming changes, please understand that the Dropbox app will still work on Samsung devices and your synced data will remain safely stored. :locked:

Essentially, the only thing changing is the built-in Samsung apps and services (The Gallery and MyFiles applications) on Samsung devices, which will not be able to access Dropbox like they did previously. 

This is because they rely on an API of Dropbox that will be retired on April 1, 2018. Your data in Dropbox is safe, but you'll need to use the Dropbox app from the Google Play store to use Dropbox on those devices.

Again, no need to worry as you'll still be able to access and edit files on your Samsung devices, but you'll need to do so through the Dropbox app available at the Google Play store.

To read up on this matter in a little more detail, feel free to have a look at this article: 

Hope this helps shed a little more light on the matter, and if you have any further questions, just leave them below, and we'll get back to you. Thanks and happy Friday! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Shrewdfoxtrot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Why would anyone keep using Dropbox when it’s only and added step now? Just stop at google play - backup everything to google drive and everything still works like before just without Dropbox.
Sorry Dropbox but I don’t have time to stop and think, does this device work with Dropbox or not anymore?

LuisA1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @kentkent,

You can still upload photos and videos automatically from your Samsung device by using the camera uploads feature on the Dropbox Android app. This Help Center article has steps on enabling and using camera uploads:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/photos-videos/camera-uploads-overview

You can also still share a photo from Dropbox on your device from within the Dropbox Android app as well.

Additionally, once you start working with Dropbox files in the app, you will be able to directly see and edit what is in your Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps!

LuisA1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

You can share photos and videos that have been uploaded to Dropbox directly from the Dropbox Android app without having to first save it your device. You can do this by using the "Export" function when viewing the file in the Dropbox Android app.

I hope this helps!

troy1974
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sending a message with an attached file...... no so easy anymore?????????????????

SO something that was simple like replying to a message and adding a photo or file is now not so simple? Replying to a message was just + to add a file, click album(mmmm the albumn i wanted does not appear here anymore.), so start trying to find out why my computer is stuffed again. Im not a genius on computers but has this simple function of replyiong to a message changed????????

what about sending a photo to a missed call that you dont necessarily have a phone number for? is this possible? or do i have to save that person and details as a contact before sending a simple quote/ file etc.?

i hate to say that if it has, im sorry dropbox , see you later.

next question, how do i transfer all my dropbox cloud files to onedrive??????

Need more support?