cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are "available offline" Dropbox files and folders stored on Android devices?

Where are "available offline" Dropbox files and folders stored on Android devices?

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I know this question has been asked a million times (I've googled it), but I still can't find where my offline files are stored on my phone. I've looked in SD card>Android>data>com.dropbox.android>files, but it's empty. However, in the Dropbox app, I've marked a file as "Available offline", it shows the little green icon on the right indicating that it's been downloaded, and I can open it. So where is it?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to play MP3 files in a music player (either Google Play Music or VLC), I don't want to have to open each MP3 individually in Dropbox to play it. But I have to tell VLC where the folder is that contains the MP3 files. Seems very simple, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Am I the only one having this problem? It doesn't seem like such a strange thing to request.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @David K.124

First off all, note that making a file “Available offline” makes a local copy of your file within our mobile app. The file can be then viewed offline and will sync with Dropbox. If any changes are made to the file while you are offline, the changes will be synced once your device is connected to Wi-Fi.

On Android, you can make a file “Available offline” by following these steps:

- Open the Dropbox app and navigate to the file you want to make available for offline access.
- Tap the arrow to the right of the file name
- Toggle the switch next to “Available offline” on (green).

You can find out where all of the files you have made available offline by tapping the menu button and selecting “Offline files” to open the folder.

Could you try exporting the MP3 file from the Offline Files or Home view now and let me know if this persists? You should be able to see "export" option for MP3 files as well after pressing the ellipsis button (...) so if this is still not happening please send me a screenshot so I can have a visual of this as well. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation again David. Please let me know if this worked for you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David K.124 - how are you today?

I am sorry to hear about the confusion this has caused and I'll try to clear this up now. 

First off, your offline files are stored in the app’s cache folder - this is why you weren't able to locate them in your SD card. On your Android device, you can access these files using a third-party file viewer. You can also preview these files in the Dropbox app and open them with any third-party app that supports its file type.

Moreover, if you want to export a file to your external SD card simply follow these steps:

• Tap the Quick Action button to the right of the filename
  • Scroll down and tap “Export”
  • Tap “Save to device”
  • Select your external SD card*

• If you do not see your external SD card listed, while you are in the “Save to” menu (after tapping “Save to device”), tap “Menu” then “Settings” and then select “Display advanced devices”. You will then see your external SD card show up as an export location.

You should be able to access and use the (MP3) file as you wish located in your mobile normally now. 

I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't see them in the cache folder (SD card>Android>data>com.dropbox.android>cache) either. (Dropbox seems to be using the SD card, not the internal memory. There is a cache folder on the SD card, but it's empty.)

Does it depend which version of Android I'm on? I have a Samsung Note 8, with Android 8.0.0. I uninstalled and downloaded the latest version of Dropbox (92.2.6) earlier today.

I can copy the files to some other directory, as you suggest, but it would be much more convenient if I didn't have to. And it seems to defeat the purpose of Dropbox, in a way, and also wastes some space, since I now have two copies of every file that I download from Dropbox

Also, I don't see any "Export" option in Dropbox, just "Share", "Star", "Rename", "Copy", "Move" and "Delete". I do see "Export" for other types of files, though, but not MP3 files. Have they disabled the "Export" option for audio files?

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Update: I also have Dropbox installed on my tablet, but it's an older version, 92.2.4. It still displays "Export" beside MP3 files. So it looks like they removed that option in 92.2.5 or 92.2.6. Why?

I have to wonder what benefit, if any, there is to installing the Dropbox app on my phone or tablet. It's easier just to transfer files the old school way, via USB cable.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me posted @David K.124 . 

Can you please try updating your mobiles' Operating System and the version of the mobile app you use ( just check for any updates within your mobile device's app store) and let me know if you still see the same options?

Another thing to note here is that our mobile app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile devices.

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the mobile application does not automatically store files locally on your device. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or even bandwidth limitations on some occasions. Given this, the contents of your account will not take up space on your mobile device.  This also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection.

I hope this helps clear this up in a way David. Let me know if you have any more questions or comments about our mobile app - your feedback is always more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

They're both up-to-date. I have the "update automatically" option turned on for my phone, and as I said in an earlier post, I deleted and re-installed Dropbox (92.2.6).

I also understand that files aren't stored locally by default on a mobile device, in order to conserve space. But that's what the "Available offline" switch is for, isn't it? Again, as I said in my first post, even though I've turned this option on for some files, I can't find where they're stored. 

Finally, to repeat myself one more time, I don't see the "export" option for MP3 files, although I do see it for other types of files.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @David K.124

First off all, note that making a file “Available offline” makes a local copy of your file within our mobile app. The file can be then viewed offline and will sync with Dropbox. If any changes are made to the file while you are offline, the changes will be synced once your device is connected to Wi-Fi.

On Android, you can make a file “Available offline” by following these steps:

- Open the Dropbox app and navigate to the file you want to make available for offline access.
- Tap the arrow to the right of the file name
- Toggle the switch next to “Available offline” on (green).

You can find out where all of the files you have made available offline by tapping the menu button and selecting “Offline files” to open the folder.

Could you try exporting the MP3 file from the Offline Files or Home view now and let me know if this persists? You should be able to see "export" option for MP3 files as well after pressing the ellipsis button (...) so if this is still not happening please send me a screenshot so I can have a visual of this as well. 

Thanks for your patience and cooperation again David. Please let me know if this worked for you. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I do see the "Export" option if I view "Offline" files. But as I said, all this is too much trouble just to be able to copy some MP3 files to my phone, it's far less work just to copy them over a USB cable.

I've been usng Dropbox for several years now, and I'm sure I didn't need to do this on my old phone, which had an earlier version of Dropbox. (Was this an "enhancement" they introduced?) So I still don't see any real advantage to using Dropbox on my phone any more.

dosp33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have a very similar situation. My plan is month-to-month. If you do not adress something so basic after all this time, I will move ererything onto my phone and cancel my subscription. Secondly, it looks like even though i store DOZENS of gigabyte in offline mode, and have a terybyte plan, i can only export single 3 minute mp3 files. It's not even music. Your own mp3 player cant play them but VLC can. i have hundreds of them. Do you intend me to click 3 times for every mp3 file? What's going on?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this @dosp33

As I'd really like to help with this, may I reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to have a further look into this with all of my tools available? 

In the meantime, can you make sure you're using the most updated version of your devices' OS and our mobile app's as well? 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    guyinthetie Explorer | Level 4
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Zul Keith Lee Explorer | Level 4
    StaringFrog New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?