cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Where are my files?

Where are "available offline" Dropbox files and folders stored on Android devices?

David K.124
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I know this question has been asked a million times (I've googled it), but I still can't find where my offline files are stored on my phone. I've looked in SD card>Android>data>com.dropbox.android>files, but it's empty. However, in the Dropbox app, I've marked a file as "Available offline", it shows the little green icon on the right indicating that it's been downloaded, and I can open it. So where is it?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able to play MP3 files in a music player (either Google Play Music or VLC), I don't want to have to open each MP3 individually in Dropbox to play it. But I have to tell VLC where the folder is that contains the MP3 files. Seems very simple, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Am I the only one having this problem? It doesn't seem like such a strange thing to request.

16 Replies 16

dosp33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's an embarassment that you don't give people proper access to their folder structure to move things around easily, don't let people move files onto the external microSD within the dropbox app, don't let people export several files or a folder or folders from the app on the phone, seemingly only let people export single files, don't offer a proper mp3-player that actually works well (playing all files in a folder in sequence for instance). Etc. 

This has been such a waste of time. What is your service actually for? People don't use clouds like yours for backup reasons, but for ease of access on multiple platforms and while traveling, when you for instance have low data, bad connections, no connections. What is the terrabyte of data plan for when you can't store and use simple mp3s- are you kidding? 

I'm starting to think I will be better off without your service. 

Everything is up-to-date. Go ahead. 

dosp33
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Why does the thread claim "solved", when it clearly has not been solved. Your download of files to make them available offline takes forever, and regularly gets stuck. I had to redownload all with the new android now, because it asked me to clear all temporary files and so I deleted them all after update to the new android. It was like 30 gibabyte in offline dropbox files 4 weeks ago, I am still downloading these to offline again. NO ONE NEEDS 1 Terrabyte on the cloud alone with these slow download speeds, redownloads after software updates, the necessity to download 200 mb folders at a time again and again because the download otherwise gets stuck. I don't get it. My phone has 400 gb internal and 400 gb external memory. Connectivity is always the issue across half the globe, not memory on the devices. 

Get real 

StaringFrog
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found my files under

Android / data / com.dropbox.android / files / <userID> / scratch

Zul Keith Lee
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I cannot find the files>scratch folder anymore within the com.dropbox folder. Manual file opening is much needed to avoid using microsoft office integration (in my case). I have bad experience with office integration. It save but did not upload the changes to dropbox account eventhough i have press "save" button. Theres also no upload notification if using office integration and results in total lost 20+ pages of document in one blink. We need the old manual file opening because the only reliable apps is dropbox itself.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Zul Keith Lee!

Since you have a similar question to the OP here, please have a look at this thread for some more info.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

guyinthetie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
What is the folder name of the local location on Andriod, for files made available offline?

It doesn't appear to be com.dropbox.android

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @guyinthetie, happy Friday! 

I've merged your question into this thread since it seems to echo what others have expressed. 

Feel free to take a look at what has already been suggested, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?