cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS 11 Files App does not update Dropbox files (new file won't appear)

iOS 11 Files App does not update Dropbox files (new file won't appear)

Julian11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I have set up a the iOS 11 Files app with Dropbox integration.

Initially all the files from Dropbox appear correctly.

The problem appears whenever the Dropbox contents get updated outside of iOS, so for example if I upload new files from Dropbox.com . 

The shown files in the iOS 11 Files app do not get updated with the newly created file unless I force quit the iOS 11 Files app and re-open it or sometimes moving across files and folders in the iOS 11 Files app somehow "triggers" an update. Even keeping the iOS 11 Files App open for more than 10 minutes in the folder where new files were uploaded using Dropbox.com no update happend.

Expectation: Whenever there is a new file in the Dropbox it should appear within seconds also in the iOS 11 Files App. 

Please suggest.

Kind regards and thanks

Julian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried deleting the Dropbox mobile app and then reinstalling it from the iTunes store?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hi Julian, note that there are some differences between Dropbox sync on a mobile device and desktop. On a mobile device, the files are not locally stored unless you make them available offline. But if your mobile device is connected to the internet, you will be able to browse, view, and download any file. I think if you upload a file from your iOS device, it is triggered immediately, however if something is changed on the server side it is not immediately reflected on the device. But if you click on those files, it will immediately start downloading. If a file doesn't appear, you may browse a different folder or go to a high level folder, and return back to trigger the changes. For more information available here https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/ios-files-app

Julian11
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello,
Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately this doesn’t help me. I cannot click anything because I don’t see the new files. I am not talking about offline work but online.

Let’s put it simple:
I’m in the iOS 11 Files app inside my Dropbox Root Directory. I leave the the app opened with internet connection.

On my desktop I upload a file to the Dropbox root directory. This new file will never appear automatically on the iPad unless I force quit the app or restart the iPad.

Even moving across directories does not help nor should it be necessary in m opinion - what if there are no other directories and I use only the root directory?

Please suggest.

Kind regards and thanks

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

I understand, it is inconvenient, sorry for that. What happens if you select another service/folder (say, iCloud) on the left pane of your Files app, and then select Dropbox again?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
We can’t really comment on how the iOS Files app works, other than it links to your Dropbox account.

Whenever a file is created in your Dropbox account, even the Dropbox mobile app sometimes needs to be refreshed to see the file. 

I would assume that the iOS Files app needs to do the same thing, and there isn’t anything we can do to change that for obvious reasons. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MilesSmith
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

but for me it was working smooth on my iPad Pro when it was running on ios 10 however as I have updated to ios 11.3 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried deleting the Dropbox mobile app and then reinstalling it from the iTunes store?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?