Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 11 PDF Export to Dropbox changing names

5 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 3

iOS 11 PDF Export to Dropbox changing names

When attempting to export a file from iOS 11 devices, the original file name is changes to "file" followed my the month, day, hour, minute & second, then the extension ",pdf".  Have attempted from multiple devices and other methods but the file name always ends up with the same format.  Need the original name maintained during the exporting operation.

5 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: iOS 11 PDF Export to Dropbox changing names

Hi geacreations,

Can you tell me the steps you are taking to export the file? There's a few different flows for exporting.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox
Level 3

Just discovered Save to DropBox was the root of my problem. If I select Save to Files then select a DropBox folder as the destination then the original file name is maintained. Removed Save to DropBox as one of the choices and always go to DropBox via Save to Files, it works for me. It was just logical to use the Save to DropBox selection. Now that I removed the option, my problem is solved.
Level 3

Spoke too soon.  The above option only works on my iPhone.  When I attempt it on my iPad Pro the Dropbox destination via Save to Files is grayed out.  I have Pass Code lock turned off on both devices.

Level 4

Please note that the individual that started this thread marked it as solved yet replied later that it wasn't solved yet did not unmark it.

I am having this same issue with pdf attachments changing filename.  Furthermore, when I use Save to Files I cannot get to the lower hierarchy folders within my folder structure to actually save it where I need to.  So I really need the Save to Dropbox feature to work.

Here are the steps I am taking:

In ios Mail, accessing my company Exchange server mailbox, I click on a file attachment to an email to open it on my iPhone

Then I click on the share/Save to icon in the bottome left-hand corner of the attached document

I click on Save to Dropbox button

The file name is now changed from what it was named as attached to my email reading File Oct 04, 11 52 39.pdf

Now I have to take the steps to change the file name each time, which I did not have to do previously.

If I choose the new "Save to Files" button, I cannot work my way down through the Dropbox folder hierarchy to get to the actual folder where I want to save this file.  It only goes to the 4th level and I save to a 5th level folder within Dropbox. So this is not a solution for me.  However, the name of the file does not change if using this process.

Level 4

Attachment file changing name upon saving in IOS11

Please note this same thread was started below by another user that marked it as solved. The user replied later that it wasn't solved yet did not unmark it.

I am having their same issue with pdf attachments changing filename when I am attempting to save the file to Dropbox.  Furthermore, if I attempt to use Save to Files I cannot get to the lower hierarchy folders within my folder structure to actually save it where I need to.  So I really need the Save to Dropbox feature to work.

Here are the steps I am taking:

In ios Mail, accessing my company Exchange server mailbox, I click on a file attachment to an email to open it on my iPhone

Then I click on the share/Save to icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the attached document

I click on Save to Dropbox button

The file name is now changed from what it was named as attached to my email reading File Oct 04, 11 52 39.pdf

Now I have to take the steps to change the file name each time, which I did not have to do previously.

If I choose the new "Save to Files" button, I cannot work my way down through the Dropbox folder hierarchy to get to the actual folder where I want to save this file.  It only goes to the 4th level and I save to a 5th level folder within Dropbox. So this is not a solution for me.  However, the name of the file does not change if using this process.