cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

jelteliekens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We're currenty testing an app for iOS11 support and bumped into a problem with the new UIDocumentPickerViewController. An action opens the new UIDocumentPickerViewController, iCloud Drive is shown by default, we're tapping on the Locations button and switch to Dropbox. When selecting an attachement, the viewcontroller is dismisses but nothing is happening. When selecting an attacthement from iCloud Drive things work just fine. 

While debugging we found out the delegate method is not called and following message is shown in the console output.

[UIDocumentLog] UIDocumentPickerViewController : didPickDocumentURLs called with nil or 0 URLS

Does someone else has this problem too? If yes, what's your solution. It would be nice to see this fixed before iOS11 is released.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi jelteliekens,

This will be fixed/implemented once iOS 11 is official released.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi jelteliekens,

This will be fixed/implemented once iOS 11 is official released.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

DaveZ
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Maple

Can you please fix this before the official iOS 11 release? There is an iOS 11 GM seed available already.

This is a pretty scary bug as a lot of the users of my app (20k+) rely on import from Dropbox via the UIDocumentPickerViewController and this will stop working as soon as they upgrade. I've already got a few complaints from the people on iOS 11 beta.

Kind regards

David

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi DaveZ,

We are targeting the official iOS 11 release on the 19th so it won't be available before then. Sorry about the inconvenience. I recommend not upgrading until the iOS 11 release is official.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

DaveZ
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for the update.

JaceLightning
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
iOS 11 was officially released on September 12th and this is still broken 😞

Jurgis K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Maybe you can share with your collegues that this decision (postpone fix for aforementioned problem until official release date) really hurts developers as number our ordinary users enroll for public betas long before official iOS11 release.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi DaveZ, JaceLightning and Jurgis K.,

Thank you for writing in. I understand the frustration when using the iOS 11 beta with our app. I will pass your messages to our team.

The iOS 11 official release is expected on Sept 19 (tomorrow). The next version of Dropbox iOS will contain Files app support so be on the lookout for a new update in the next few days.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

domhof
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Maple,

I'm sorry this might be a bit off-topic: Have you found a fix for this in your UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController? I'm updating an app which has a working UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController for iOS 10 but in iOS 11 I get the exact same error message in the client-app's console.

[UIDocumentLog] UIDocumentPickerViewController : didPickDocumentURLs called with nil or 0 URLS

Thank you!!

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi domhof,

I didn't work on this feature so I asked the people who did for you. They said Apple 'broke' doc picker in iOS 11 (or maybe it is deprecated/no longer supported), and it will not work unless you implement file provider. We have not released our file provider extension yet so that's why users see this issue.

As an update, the release with our file provider is still in review. Sorry for the delay. We really want this out too!

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kymatica New member | Level 2
    domhof Explorer | Level 3
    Maple Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?