cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do videos uploaded to Dropbox from iPhone X only play audio on a desktop?

Why do videos uploaded to Dropbox from iPhone X only play audio on a desktop?

Jerfle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All videos from iPhone X have sound but the video image is missing when downloaded to my PC running Windows 10.  The videos were shot on multiple video apps with the same result.   The result is the same for automatically synced videos (Camera Uploads Folder) or uploaded manually with the ios app.   The videos appear to play normally within the Dropbox web app but when downloaded to my PC the problem occurs.   I have an iPhone 6s connected to the same Dropbox account and the videos are normal.   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerfle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was able to resolve the issue by changing the format that my iPhone X saves video.   With iOS 11, Apple launched a new compression format - HEIF/HEVC.   Only the newer Apple hardware is compatible with the new compression which may save up to 50% of space, ie even though ios 11 is running on a 6s, it would not use the new compression software.   

To change the format that your iphone X saves video ... 

Settings --> Camera --> Formats --> Most Compatible  

With this setting you won't be able to shoot larger formats like 4K on your phone, but it will be compatible with the Dropbox app on a Windows Computer.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Jerfle, hope you had a great time during your holiday, let’s look into what you’ve experienced together!

As you’ve mentioned that the file play normally online, the cause is most probably outside Dropbox, though I’d like to check it with you. Could you include a step-by-step description of what’s happening in your next message, so that we work on that together? 

• What’s the file extension & the file size? 
  • Would you mind including a shared link to the file in your next reply (if you’re comfortable sharing of course), so that I reproduce on my end?  
I’ll be awaiting your next post here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

GeologyMule
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same issue. 

I recently got an iPhone X and I always upload my photos and videos to Dropbox via the camera upload.  They are then synced on my laptops.  I'm using Windows 7.  All of my videos that were uploaded from my previous iPhone 6sPlus play just fine.  Only the videos I have uploaded since I got my new phone play audio only and no video.  I've tried opening with both Quicktime and Windows Media Player.  I don't even see an image in the thumbnail with the iPhone X uploads, but I see them with the iPhone 6sPlus uploads.  However, if I access the same file while on Dropbox.com, it plays video.

Jerfle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was able to resolve the issue by changing the format that my iPhone X saves video.   With iOS 11, Apple launched a new compression format - HEIF/HEVC.   Only the newer Apple hardware is compatible with the new compression which may save up to 50% of space, ie even though ios 11 is running on a 6s, it would not use the new compression software.   

To change the format that your iphone X saves video ... 

Settings --> Camera --> Formats --> Most Compatible  

With this setting you won't be able to shoot larger formats like 4K on your phone, but it will be compatible with the Dropbox app on a Windows Computer.  

GeologyMule
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

That seemed to fix it. Thank you very much.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GeologyMule Explorer | Level 4
    Jerfle New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?