cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Open with" option missing

"Open with" option missing

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm using the Dropbox app in a Pixelbook, and until today, I used to be able to open pdf files using Xodo Docs by clicking on the three vertical dots on the right of the file names.  For some reason, the "Open with" option in the dialog has disappeared, and I have been unable to recover it. 

The dialog looks like this now: http://bit.ly/2ErF8dM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox app, to no avail.

I have even done a factory reset of the Pixelbook, but when I log into my Google account, the setup process automatically re-installs all the apps I had in the previous iteration of Pixelbook.

This leads me to believe that my Google account has created a mirror image of the "profile" or "setting" files of the corrupted Dropbox app, reintroduces them to the machine after the factory reset.

Is there a way to remove every single file (especially profile) associated with the Dropbox app?  Uninstalling Dropbox via Play Store simply removes the app, but if I reinstall it, and open and log in to Dropbox, everything looks like before, including the "Recents" menu (with the files recently opened).  

Incidentally, this is not a specifically pdf issue.  The dialog looks the same if I try to open a *.docx file, for instance.

Thanks for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rodrigo_dbx
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Luc_W,

While we figure out why the option went away, you should be still be able to Open With from the document Preview.

1) Tap/click on the PDF that you want to open with. (You should see a preview of the first page).

2) On the bottom you should see the Open With button that looks like this below:

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.19.23 PM.png

Hope that helps in the meantime!

Rodrigo

Android Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello,

We have decided to add the "Open With" action back to the action sheet from file browse screens, and then from the preview screens on Android. This will be included within the next couple stable releases of the Dropbox mobile app that should be available within the following few of weeks.

Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Positive vibe!

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Luc_W

Are you still missing the Open with, etc.? This sounds like something that can happen when using a beta version of our app. Can you check the setting in our app and let me know what version you’re on? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there.
Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Sanchez,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, the Open with is still missing.

I did install the beta version of the app, but this was after this problem started, and it was in a desperate attempt to fix it.  Alas, nothing changed, and I reverted to the regular version of the app.

My current version is 78.2.2.

Indeed, the problem started right after the last app update.  I believe I either opened or closed the app as it was being updated.  Could this have corrupted the app?

At any rate, it seems to me that an easy solution would be to uninstall the app completely, and do a clean install.  I did that using the Google Play Store, but obviously, some profile/settings files are not removed: when I open the fresh installation, it shows me the old window, with the "Starred" files and the "Recent" files opened on this machine.  

Any suggestions on how to do a "nuclear" re-install of dropbox, which would remove all dropbox files?

Thanks!

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi @Sanchez,

I'm not sure this is the proper way to reply to you, but here it is.
I just wrote my reply to your question.
Please see below.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Luc_W

I’ve just updated my Android device to version 78.2 of our app, and indeed the open with option is missing, so there’s no need for you to troubleshoot any further on your Pixelbook. My colleagues have informed me that you’ve also submitted a support ticket, but I’ll see what I can find out about this too. 

And yeah, this is a good way to get a hold of me :wink:

Cheers!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Sanchez,

Thanks for the feedback.  I hope this problem will be solved sooner than later.  In the meantime, is it possible to downgrade my app to the stable version of dropbox?  If so, how?

And in the future, is it possible to set it up, so that I only get updates to stable versions?

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
On the iOS version of the app, you now have to select Export, and then you have the option of opening the file in another application.

rodrigo_dbx
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Luc_W,

While we figure out why the option went away, you should be still be able to Open With from the document Preview.

1) Tap/click on the PDF that you want to open with. (You should see a preview of the first page).

2) On the bottom you should see the Open With button that looks like this below:

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 3.19.23 PM.png

Hope that helps in the meantime!

Rodrigo

Android Engineer @ Dropbox

Luc_W
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for this temporary fix, rodrigo_dbx!

jay h.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the same problem running Dropbox on my android (Samsung) tablet. "Open with" is gone. Even though I set default applications for the device, Dropbox does not honor them. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox from the Play Store tonight. That had no effect. I also tried to reset defaults using my tablet settings, again with no effect. My dialog box looks exactly like that in the link shown in the initial message here.

Need more support?