cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to play back Dropbox MP3 files in iPhone web browser

unable to play back Dropbox MP3 files in iPhone web browser

Jensen_G
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a client who is using Dropbox to share MP3 files of his radio show. When he shares an mp3 file (e.g. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a788cb7ogkmr3tf/blainesworld-20170927.mp3?dl=0 ) the mp3 will play back fine if opened in the Dropbox app. However, if the Dropbox app is not installed and the user selects "direct download" so they can listen to the file on iPhone, the file will stall and never play back, even though mp3 files loaded from other sites (such as bnipodcast.com mp3 files) work great. What's going on here, and why are Dropbox MP3 files not loading on iOS devices? I can't expect everyone we give the file to will have the Dropbox app. 

screenshot is attached of what it looks like when I try to load the mp3 file directly - it just spins forever (iOS 11.0.1...

IMG_476A8EEB0485-1.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

behzod
Super User
Go to solution

Hi,

It is super easy to "fix" this issue and listen to the audio you shared on iPhone's Safari browser.

Just delete dl=0 at the end of the link and replace it with raw=1 

Your link that you gonna share should look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a788cb7ogkmr3tf/blainesworld-20170927.mp3?raw=1

Basically, what you are doing by adding the raw=1 to the end of the link is hotlinking it. That's is sharing direct download link to the file. Anyone who clicks on hotlinked file will not see any of the Dropbox frames, logos, etc. It works for any type of file that you share.

I just opened that link on my iPhone's Safari as well as on Chrome browser on my laptop and it is working with no issues. Here is the screenshot:

behzod photos (3).jpg

Hope this solution helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Jensen_G,

Thank you for the sample audio file. I wasn't able to play it via web Safari either. I filed this bug for you internally with our mobile web team, and I'll get back to you when they investigate.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

behzod
Super User
Go to solution

Hi,

It is super easy to "fix" this issue and listen to the audio you shared on iPhone's Safari browser.

Just delete dl=0 at the end of the link and replace it with raw=1 

Your link that you gonna share should look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a788cb7ogkmr3tf/blainesworld-20170927.mp3?raw=1

Basically, what you are doing by adding the raw=1 to the end of the link is hotlinking it. That's is sharing direct download link to the file. Anyone who clicks on hotlinked file will not see any of the Dropbox frames, logos, etc. It works for any type of file that you share.

I just opened that link on my iPhone's Safari as well as on Chrome browser on my laptop and it is working with no issues. Here is the screenshot:

behzod photos (3).jpg

Hope this solution helps.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi behzod,

Thanks for your comment! This is great work around.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

dennisred
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you SO very much! We are a small non-profit radio station. We share extra content with our monthly subscribers via Dropbox. We've had comments that people have not been able to listen on their phones. Now we have a solution!

diesirae33
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Solution does not work for me. I try to share mp3 mixes in a closed facebook group. The dropbox links does not work for iphone, even when using raw=1 it takes you to a download interface that stalls like in the op

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

diesirae33 New member | Level 2
    dennisred New member | Level 2
    Maple Dropbox Staff
    behzod Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?