cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upload Error on Mac OS High Sierra/ Photos...Could Not Be Imported

Camera Upload Error on Mac OS High Sierra/ Photos...Could Not Be Imported

Michelle A.8
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since April 10, I've been spending a LOT of time trying to upload photos and videos from my iPhone 7 [iOS 11.3 (15E216)]  to my Mac [macOS High Sierra (Version 10.14.4)]. It used to do that no problem, but no more.

Sometimes I get only an error message, while other times, I get a message that makes me hopeful -- "Finding photos / Thus could take a while..." But it is followed up by another error message.

I've tried everything I can think of, including disabling then enabling imports, installing the newest version, etc. -- but I still get nothing but error messages. The two most common are:

1.  "Camera upload error / Failed to import 210 of 210 photos."

2.  "210 photos or videos from 2018.Phone.7 couldn't be imported. 0 photos and videos were imported."

Please help. Thank you!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Michelle A.8
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got a solution that worked for me from Dropbox Support. Thought I'd share it here for those who might benefit:

The application "Image Capture" which apparently comes with Macs -- who knew? -- can act as a "middleman" in the process to transfer images to Dropbox.

• Go to the Spotlight Search (top righthand side of your computer) and type "image capture".

• When it comes up, select your phone from the interface on the lefthand side of the app.
  • The images from your phone will pop up in the main window of the app. Select those which have not been imported. 
  • (You might want to click the box that says "delete after import" or "Keep originals" at the lower left of the app.) 
  • Select Other -> Dropbox -> Camera Uplpads in the "Import To" dropdown.
  • Click on the "Import" or "Import All" button and it will import.

Most of these steps don't have to be repeated on subsequent uses.

As I mentioned, I'm not thrilled with this "workaround," but I suppose it will do until Dropbox engineers get around to fixing what is obvious problems.

View solution in original post

benjuang
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I might have a fix (or at least a better workaround than using the "Image Capture", since that doesn't use the same naming format as Dropbox and you might end up with duplicates once importing works again - at least I get file like "IMG_9365.JPG" instead of "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.jpg").

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Photos.  At the very bottom, toggle "Transfer to Mac Or PC" from "Automatic" to "Keep Originals".  After doing this, I reconnected my iPhone and importing worked.

Note: This might transfer your current photos as HEIC files instead of JPEGs.  I'm not a big fan of this HEIC format, but eh, at least I have importing now.  If storing HEICs make you sad, I believe you can go to Settings > Camera > Formats and toggle it over to "Most Compatible", so future photos will be in JPEG.

2018-05-15 00.38.29.png

My environment is as follows:

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.13.4

iPhone 8, iOS 11.3.1

Dropbox app on OS X: Stable Build 49.4.68

- - - Most people can stop reading here - - -

1. Additional notes while debugging:
    I noticed that while importing fails when the setting is set to "Automatic", certain photos do get imported.  These consisted of iPhone screenshots and some low-res close-ups of stuff.
  2. I found https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Since-iOS-11-upgrade-camera-uploads-stopped-work..., which led me to suspect HEIC or image formats being the problem (again), especially in light of (1).
  3. I was able to confirm that if I took a photo, switched the setting back to "Automatic", then reconnected my phone, the import process would fail with the error message.

View solution in original post

54 Replies 54

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
What happened on, or around, April 10? Any changes, updates to your phone or computer? 

Can you please double-check that your phone’s operating system is on iOS 11.3, and that you’re using the latest version of our app (90.2)?

Also, I’m assuming that your Mac is on 10.13.4 (not 10.14.4 :upside_down:).

Let me know. 

Have a great week ahead!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Michelle A.8
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your response, @Sanchez.

We can't think of anything that happened on 4/10 which might have anything to do with our connection or my computer, or even the phone, which is not where I use Dropbox. I did get updates to Clean Text Menu, Evernote, and iMovie on that date, though. I can't imagine they would be a problem. Could they?

Phone and iPad both using iOS 11.4.

Computer, which is where I use Dropbox, is using macOS High Sierra version 10.13.4, which is, according to my App Store, the most recent one available to me.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update. I recommend that you downgrade both your iPhone and iPad back to the current stable version of iOS, 11.3.

Issues like these are common when running beta versions of operating systems, as they are incomplete and unstable. If you continue to experience these issues after that, then it would be a good idea to
contact our support team. 

Cheers!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Michelle A.8
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Sanchez wrote:
Thanks for the update. I recommend that you downgrade both your iPhone and iPad back to the current stable version of iOS, 11.3.

Issues like these are common when running beta versions of operating systems, as they are incomplete and unstable. If you continue to experience these issues after that, then it would be a good idea to
contact our support team. 

Cheers!

Well, I guess I could do that on my iPad and iPhone, but the problem happens only on my Mac, so I'm not sure how this will affect the problem. Will do it, though, because I'm really wanting Dropbox to continue to work for me.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I understood that you were having an issue importing photos and videos from your iPhone to your Mac. If this isn’t the case, we’ll take a different route. 

In any event, if your process involves connecting your iDevices to your Mac, it’s a good idea to be on stable versions of their operating systems. 

Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Max_in_Madison
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as Michelle A.8. On a MacBook Pro, I am running OS 10.13.4, Mac Dropbox v47.4.74; on an iPhone X, I am running iOS 11.3, Dropbox 92.2 (updated 2 days ago from 90.2 -- I have experienced the failure to download on both). I am not running any beta software.

After not having had any problem for years, my photos stopped uploading around the same time as Michelle A.8. I have also tried the same remedies as Michelle A.8, including unchecking and re-checking the "Enable camera uploads for Photos and videos" box, reinstalling the software, etc.

Please let us know what to do to fix this, as I value having my photos uploaded to Dropbox.

Thanks.

jernimtz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue as Michelle and Max.  I am running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 and an iPhone 8 running 11.3.  I had not syched for roughly 4 months but when I attempted to synch and backup my photos on 4/15/2018, I received the message stating that 550 photos could not be synched.  Oddly, I was able to synch all of my phone screenshot .png files but other files (such as 'Live' photos and .mov files) would not synch.

Previously, unchecking/rechecking the "Enable camera uploads for Photos and videos" feature would work.  This action does not remedy this issue.

gabradoodle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Exactly the same issue here as well. 

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Max_in_Madison, jernimtz and gabradoodle, welcome to Dropbox Community!

First let’s check that you have updated the latest version of your desktop app here. 

Can you tell me where is the issue occurring, is it happening when you plug your phone or tablet into your computer or is it on your mobile device? 

A screenshot of the error message you receive would also be very helpful to make sure I understand further the issue you are experiencing. 

Also, here are some Quick fixes for camera uploads that you may utilize as an initial troubleshooting step: 

• If this issue is only happening with videos (not photos), check that you have video uploads enabled in the camera uploads settings on the Dropbox app.
  • If you can’t upload, try turning off your data and just uploading with Wi-Fi. If that doesn’t work, try uploading with both data and WiFi turned on.
  • If you can’t upload, check that your device has enough battery life (or plug it in to charge) before uploading.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PhilippePierre Explorer | Level 4
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    tomlauren New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?