Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Uploads Not Working

SOLVED
11 Comments
13 Kudos
Level 6

Camera Uploads Not Working

I have a busines dropbox account for years, and always had a camera upload folder. I do not have a personal account linked to my business account, but importing pictures and videos using dropbox from various devices has always worked fine for me.

Until now.

The option still pops up in autoplay, but if I select import pictures and videos using dropbox, nothing happens.

I then read the following on the dropbox website:

"Camera uploads was turned off for Dropbox Business accounts on April 9, 2014. These changes were made to help you avoid mixing personal and work files.

If you used Dropbox Business before April 9, 2014, or if your work account used to be a personal account, you may have a Camera Uploads folder. However, the camera uploads feature won’t work with your work account."

This is false information. I know from personal experience that Camera Uploads worked fine for Dropbox Business accounts well after april 2014, and I have never had a personal dropbox account linked to my business account. In fact it worked fine until very recently. Now it no longer works.

Besides, why the f*** would Dropbox piss off their highest paying customers (I pay well over $1000 a year for my Dropbox business account) by not enabling a very basic and important feature like Camera Uploads?

While researching this issue I see that many people are fed up with the dysfunctional feature of importing of photos and videos using Dropbox. So many people complaining that Camera Uploads doesn't work.

Why does Dropbox not fix this? Please fix this Dropbox, when I pay over $1000 a year I expect things to work. I have wasted hours just trying to download my pictures and videos of the last month, and researching why that simple function is not working.

I am considering cancelling my account and moving to another cloud storage provider.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 6

Re: Camera Uploads Not Working

Hi Rich,
I think you are right, however in this thread there is a missing detail that I think should be considerate.
It is true that Dropbox disabled Camera Uploads for Businesses, and there is a valid reason that Rich explained.
However, is not like Dropbox left the users without any "workaround" to use the functionality with limitation when in a Business Team.

Keep in mind that is now possible to have a Personal account paired with a Business account: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/connect-personal-work-account

Once paired, you can have both accounts logged in the mobile and activate the camera upload pictures on the personal one, secondly, you can either move the pictures to the Business (using a Desktop application and the good old Drag&Drop) or just share the folder with the Business account.
In this way the business team has the complaince, dull members have less risk to share personal pictures in the business by mistake and you can still have the automatic uploading enabled. slightly smiling face
Sounds a good final combination to me!

Rivo, your friendly dropboxing penguin Penguin
11 Replies
Highlighted
Dropboxer

Hey @Safaridad, welcome to our forum! 

I have to say, I am very surprised that this feature has been working for you with your Business account. In fact, I would like for our developers to investigate this. Would you be willing to write in to our support team so they can forward your case to our devs? 

Now, there is an issue that our team is currently investigating, concerning Camera Uploads. It seems that versions 31.x.xx and later of our desktop app have been impacted, and a fix is currently in the works! Here’s the original forum thread, if you’d like to take a look. 

Thanks

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 6

Yes I saw that thread, and I've already written in to support. The ticket number is 6295827. I have been a Business customer since 2013 and my renewal this year cost me $1618 for 10 licenses. At this price, I expect things to work! And why would this feature not be available to Business customers? Importing and uploading photos and videos to the cloud is such a basic and important feature, why on earth would you discontinue this feature for the customers who pay the most to use Dropbox? I import photos and videos all the time, it has always worked for me, and I need it to work. Dropbox is not the cheapest cloud solution for teams. The problems with camera uploads really deserves to get priority attention from you.

Super User II

If it has worked unfortunately it was a bug Safaridad and you were just lucky.

It isnt supposed to work for Business users (it is not advertised as such and on some pages explicitly states it wont work).

There isnt a way around it I'm afraid other than using a personal account to do it now. Because it isnt supposed to work they wont work on getting it to work on your account, sadly.

Note, I dont work for Dropbox and agree with you that the no Camera Uploads decision on business is ridiculous. Even if it was a choosable option within the Admin panel (like sharing/Paper is).

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

Ridiculous is the right word. I'm paying top dollar for a cloud solution for my business, and the simple feature of importing photos and videos from external devices is not supported? How does that make any business sense? So since 2014 my camera uploads worked due to a BUG, and it wasn't supposed to work? Crazy.
Dropbox, if you're paying attention, read all the threads about this topic and how many people are complaining about it. Listen to your customers and fix this, or prepare to lose customers to OpenDrive, JustCloud, Zoolz, OneDrive, Google Drive and many others.

Super User II

Possible thread of interest: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Camera-upload-seriously-broken-for-business-user...

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

To quote Scott H in that thread:
I would love to move my organisation to Dropbox for Business, however the inability for us to upload our camera rolls to Business accounts is a total deal breaker. It makes no sense to pay more for less functionality than free accounts in this area.

Not very clever, and yet in spite of this feedback from 2015, Dropbox has turned a deaf ear and nothing has changed. Mine has always worked though, until a few weeks ago (I suspect an update "fixed the bug" that allowed me to upload photos to my dropbox business account).

Level 6

Sanchez wrote:
I have to say, I am very surprised that this feature has been working for you with your Business account. In fact, I would like for our developers to investigate this. Would you be willing to write in to our support team so they can forward your case to our devs? 

@Sanchez I find that your developers are quick to want to investigate a feature that has been working that should not have been working. Why are you not equally quick to respond to the numerous complaints you received since 2014 and the calls from business customers to bring back the camera uploads feature that you took away from business accounts in 2014? If your devs are going to look at something, they should look at bringing back camera uploads for business customers. Simple. I signed up before 2014 and I am not happy to see an essential feature suddenly removed. If you don't bring this back, you will lose my business too. And looking at previous threads, you have already lost a lot of business due to this ridiculous decision. What were you thinking?

Level 2

Apparently my office manager had the same "bug" affecting her Camera Uploads folder, which she used to quickly get iPhone pictures onto various social media outlets. It was only in the past few months that she said the Camera Uploads was not working, and she even had an IT person help her with various settings (at my expense), which she thought fixed the problem but now it is not working at all. Reading these threads about this being an intentional decision on the part of Dropbox is absolutely infuriating. We pay a good price for this service, and taking something that worked well away from the end-user "for their own good" is the type of heavy-handed behavior I might expect from Microsoft, but not a nimble 3rd party service provider.

Add my name to the list of other disappointed DBB users who are investigating alternative options.  This link may be a good place to start for those looking for HIPAA-compliant options:

https://www.skyhighnetworks.com/cloud-security-blog/top-5-hipaa-compliant-cloud-storage-services/

Seeing as how Dropbox has not reversed this decision despite several years of complaints makes me assume they are benefitting financially as some have suggested, so unlikely to care about this (*except* to quickly investigate why some of us were still able to have Camera Uploads functioning after they yanked it!). Unless/until enough of us are willing to vote with our $$$ it seems unlikely to change. Unfortunate, since I really like everything else about Dropbox that I have been using for many years and recommended to many people.

Solution
Level 6

Hi Rich,
I think you are right, however in this thread there is a missing detail that I think should be considerate.
It is true that Dropbox disabled Camera Uploads for Businesses, and there is a valid reason that Rich explained.
However, is not like Dropbox left the users without any "workaround" to use the functionality with limitation when in a Business Team.

Keep in mind that is now possible to have a Personal account paired with a Business account: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/connect-personal-work-account

Once paired, you can have both accounts logged in the mobile and activate the camera upload pictures on the personal one, secondly, you can either move the pictures to the Business (using a Desktop application and the good old Drag&Drop) or just share the folder with the Business account.
In this way the business team has the complaince, dull members have less risk to share personal pictures in the business by mistake and you can still have the automatic uploading enabled. slightly smiling face
Sounds a good final combination to me!

Rivo, your friendly dropboxing penguin Penguin