Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of the Key Photo (Live Photo - iOS 11) is not reflected in Dropbox

6 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 4

Change of the Key Photo (Live Photo - iOS 11) is not reflected in Dropbox

As it works now, Live Photo is uploaded to Dropbox as single JPEG, representing its keyframe - Live Photos in its entriety are not supported. 

iOS 11 introduced new functionality: it is possible to change the keyframe later on. As Live Photo records 3 seconds timeframe, new keyframe might be completely different photo. Thus, once I change the keyframe, I would like either to see the original JPEG to be overwritten by the new keyframe, OR new JPEG to be generated.

Is that possible, please? As it works now, it pushes me to start using iCloud instead of Dropbox which I do not want to:(

Thanks

ros

6 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Change of the Key Photo (Live Photo - iOS 11) is not reflected in Dropbox

Hey again, @RRiha,
I’ve been testing this issue here, and I’ve haven’t found a way around this. I’ll be happy to send this on to our team, so they’re aware of it too. 
Cheers! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 4

Hey Sanchez, I am glad you were able to repeat the problem and are going to forward the issue to developers.

In order to clarify better what the proper solution should be: 

1. Once new Keyframe is selected, new photo should be saved to Camera Uploads.

2. Dropbox should start to support Live Photos. These cannot but be kept separate - video is different format than still image. So one Live Photo on the iPad/iPhone should result in (a) bunch of still JPGs, each representing a Keyframe as consequently saved, (b) one MP4 video, representing the original LivePhoto, having the last selected keyFrame as its thumbnail

Dropboxer

Hey @RRiha

Thanks for getting back to me with the extra details! I’ve added them to the internal notes that I sent to our devs. 

Cheers!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Super User II

RRiha wrote:

1. Once new Keyframe is selected, new photo should be saved to Camera Uploads.

This part is on Apple, and I bet it doesn't happen.

When you take a photo on an iDevice and use a filter or other special feature (such as a Live Photo), the original image that is captured never changes. Any filters that are applied or keyframes that are selected are recorded as metadata for the original file. If you change the filter or keyframe, it's only the metadata that gets changed; the original file is left untouched. This is why, when you upload photos using certain methods, you only get the original, unedited photo, and not the filters or changes you made to it on the device. If iOS never changes the original photo in your Camera Roll or never adds a new one with the changes applied directly to it, Dropbox will never detect it.

Apple even has steps that tell you how to transfer the edited version of a photo to yourself. This often inlcudes emailing it to yourself, or using iCloud to transfer the photo. Other methods, such as Dropbox or even plugging the phone in via USB, generally result in only the original, unedited photo being transfered.

Level 4

Thanks for the reply, it really explains it. So, clumsy as it is, I am going to save a photo out each time... before I hit "accept as a solution", there is one thing missing - lack of the support of Live Photos on the side of Dropbox... as I already mentioned, it made me to pay for the iCloud alongside Dropbox, just in order to see Live Photos on PC. Dropbox support to it, be it in the form of MP4 or anything else, would be most appreciated - any chance that could happen?

Level 2

Dropbox is missing support for live phots for years now - all the competitors have it and it's simply unjustifiable to have this not implemented yet in Dropbox (specially for paying users like me).

Just a correction RRiha:

when you take a live photo, this generates two files in the iPhone/iPad: one normal image (JPG) and one video (MOV). There's no separate image for each frame or something. It's just two files (you can see that by importing a live photo using Image Capture) and that's exactly how Google Photos, for instance, saves the photo once you have camera upload enabled with them.

Should be very straightforward to implement this. I have a topic of my own in these forums about that, but since there's a Dropboxer commenting in this thread, maybe it's worth mentioning it again...

My Plus subscription ends next month and I'm thinking of moving everythin to Google, just because of the lack of pain to synchronize these photos..