cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox iOS Conversion of HEIC Photos to JPG on Portrait Mode Photos not Viewable on Sierra

Dropbox iOS Conversion of HEIC Photos to JPG on Portrait Mode Photos not Viewable on Sierra

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have my iPhone set to capture HEIC, and Dropbox client set to Save HEIC Photos As JPG.

If you take a "Portrait Mode" photo on the iPhone in HEIC, and have Dropbox convert this to JPG, the JPG is unviewable on a Mac running Sierra.

Non "Portrait Mode" photos are viewable fine on Sierra, and Portrait Mode photos that can't be viewed on Sierra, can be viewed on High Sierra.

NOTE: Portrait Mode is not the orientation of the phone, but a special mode that tries to create fake Bokeh by blurring the background through software.

System Info:

iPhone 7+ iOS 11.0.2
Dropbox for iOS v66.2.8
macOS Sierra v10.12.6

macOS High Sierra v10.13
Dropbox for Mac v35.4.20

Please see Screenshots:

macOS Sierra v10.12.6macOS Sierra v10.12.6

iOS v11.0.2 iPhone 7+iOS v11.0.2 iPhone 7+

Dropbox iOS v66.2.8Dropbox iOS v66.2.8

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JackRoger
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In fact, there are many HEIC to JPG converter online and most of them are free. I also have the need to convert HEIC photos to JPG. But instead of the free tools, I selected Joyoshare HEIC Converter as it's lossless and supports many popular formats that others don't. It's easy to convert the HEIC photos to JPG or PNG or others with Joyoshare. Maybe you can have a test with its free version first.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Not to hijack this thread, but I don't have the HEIC option in the Dropbox app (iPhone SE, iOS 11.0.2, latest Dropbox app). This is odd, as I also have a different (related?) problem where I can't enable background uploading and my videos aren't uploading for which I have a ticket open.

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just curious if you have High Efficiency or Most Compatible selected in the iOS Native Camera option? I don't think it matters, since the Dropbox app shows the option either way I set it on the iPhone 7+.

I also noticed another option that is very interesting, under Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC:

2017-10-04 14.11.20.png

Darren S.1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
I have the second option, but not the first one. Hmm...

Ah, apparently it’s only on iPhone 7 and later.

Inxcore
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue on Windows with Dropbox App! 

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I created a Dropbox support ticket and directed them to this thread. Hoping they are aware of the issue and are working on it.

chelsie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can change the format back to JPG but if you've already used the HEIC format, the only thing you can do is convert your images. There are few converters already and I found this Free HEIC Converter to JPG. This works perfectly as I was able to change the format of my images without losing the quality of my pics. It's free and does not require installing additional software as its an online tool. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
At one point there was an issue where app would change the extension to JPG but not actually convert the file (or did it convert the file but not change the extension, I don't remember). Either way, I thought that had been resolved. If you still have a JPG or HEIC image that was uploaded by Dropbox and you can't open it, try changing the file's extension just as a test.

sumocomputers
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So I have a file with a .jpg extension that cannot be opened Sierra but can on High Sierra.

Let's assume it is really a .heic file but has an incorrect .jpg extension.

Now I change it to .heic as you suggest.

What exactly would the next steps be? And how would those steps prove your theory?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no next steps. It was simply a suggestion for when you come across a JPG or HEIC file that wasn't recognized (by the file's extension) and couldn't be opened. Changing the extension may allow you to open the file because the extension would then match the file type and the operating system would then know how to handle the file.

Going back to look at it, the Dropbox iOS app was uploading HEIC files and renaming them to JPG, but not actually converting them. Changing the file's entension from JPG to HEIC allowed the file to be opened normally. No data was being lost. This issue was corrected.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JackRoger New member | Level 2
    nakactach New member | Level 2
    sumocomputers Explorer | Level 4
    Koryantii New member | Level 2
    Vamker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?