Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding photos from (new) timeline

13 Comments
7 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5

Excluding photos from (new) timeline

With the recent change in the photos timeline and removal of album functionality, I have gone through the process of downloading my albums and then recreating them in folders (approximately 5 GB in total). However, creating new folders meant that I duplicated files with one copy in my traditional folder/archive and a second copy in the new folder for sharing. Unfortunately, these duplicates show up side-by-side in the new photos timeline and the feature to exclude folders from the timeline is no longer available. Folders that have been excluded in the past are apparently still excluded and I can see a list of the excluded folders in my account settings with an option to restore them to the timeline. Finally, my question: given that the exclusion functionality still works for old folders, has anyone found a way to exclude new folders from the photos timeline?

13 Replies
Super User II

Re: Excluding photos from (new) timeline

That functionality no longer exists. As you've noted, previously excluded folders are still excluded, and you can manage those (i.e. remove the exclusion) in your account settings, but the ability to exclude other folders no longer exists.

AD7 Level 2
Level 2

Will the folder exclusion feature make its way back into the new version of Photos? It seems one of the key features that is missing.

Super User II

No one has that information as of yet, but I would doubt it. Make sure you request it in the Share an idea forum, or if someone already has, reply to their topic.

I think its going backwards, not able to exclude d folders from Photos folder. 

It was really useful.

In mi case, as a designer, I have a lot of images from my clients, I consider these confidential. I also use the app in my android cellphone.

The thing is... when I want to show to my friends and family my photos, my client images keep appearing. I DO NOT WANT this to happen. previously i could exclude those folders and that was perfect.

I hope you understand this and made the exclude option again

Tnx!

For the moment, i will uninstall the app and give it a 1 star review

Level 2

I've just gone back into my Dropbox Photos and it saddens me to find out that this "Exclude" feature has been removed — it is certainly a step backwards irregardless of whichever way you look at it.  More so that, even though 'Photos' has been removed from the sidebar of Dropbox's web UI, on iPhone at least, it's still a prominent tab that may show undesired content (screenshots, music artwork...).

I could understand if it Dropbox was free, but as a paying customer, to see services cutback and reduced, isn't a great turn on.

Level 4

I have confidencial images that I don't want to share at the Photos Option. If there is no functionality to exlcude folders, how can unistall the photos option?

Super User II

DCardona wrote:

If there is no functionality to exlcude folders, how can unistall the photos option?

There's no way to disable the Photos page. If you don't want an image to appear on the page (which only you can see, by the way) then you'll need to remove it from your Dropbox.

Level 2

I agree. It is mind-baffling why would dropbox drop such an important feature. It renders the photos UI useless. I have over 6,000 pics and now that has expanded to many more because people sharing folders with me. I will likely buy a local storage drive and set up a backup system at home and stop using dropbox for pics.  Bummer for them, because images and videos take the most storage.

Level 4

Mr Rich, by the way, I recommend you to ask about applications of Dropbox, Including to show selected data to possible clients, as for these reason, some times I need to hide some Images, nota to delete it. With answers like the one you send me, I'm thinking seriously to move all my data to other service and explain to every body the bad service provided by employes like you