cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide folders from view on mobile app

Hide folders from view on mobile app

SteveInGB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here is my use case: I have a large number of files and folders on my DropBox account that I want access to from my mobile devices. I want my wife to have access to a single folder (the camera uploads folder and it's sub folders which I use for organization) and no other folders or files. It seems some people are trying to do this with selective sync on the mobile apps, but that's not what I'm looking for. I effectively want to hide all other files and folders from a specific mobile device, how can this be done?

Do I have to set my wife up with her own account and share my camera uploads folder? I don't need an additional account or the space associated with it, can a "free" account that shares my folder, work without using space on the separate account?

For an added twist, I wouldn't mind hiding certain folders from my own mobile device as I will never need to view or access them from the mobile devise.

On a side note, the photo view in the app is okay, but I prefer to see my photos organized by folder, not date as that makes it vaslty easier to find a particular photo from a particular event.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

SteveInGB wrote:

I respectfully disagree, as I mentioned I have a lot of files that can't be viewed or are useless on the mobile device so why would I need to see them there.

I was commenting based on your stated use, which was to hid folders from your wife's mobile device. In such a case there would be no reason to have that ability since Dropbox wasn't intended to be shared like that.

With regards to the photo view, is there a way to at least make it use my folder structure in lieu of the "timeline" view?

You can view your photos in the Files view which would show your own folder structure, but the Photos view will always use either the Timeline or Albums.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

SteveInGB wrote:

I effectively want to hide all other files and folders from a specific mobile device, how can this be done?

It can't be. Accounts are not meant to be shared like that so there are no security settings on folders or options for hiding folders. A single Dropbox account is meant for an individual, so there would be no reason for such features.

Do I have to set my wife up with her own account and share my camera uploads folder?

You could, but her Camera Uploads process cannot be pointed to your Camera Uploads folder. And photos or videos uploaded using the Camera Uploads process would go to her own Camera Uploads folder.

can a "free" account that shares my folder, work without using space on the separate account?

No. Any member of a shared folder needs to have enough space in their account to hold that folder.

SteveInGB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@SteveInGB wrote:

I effectively want to hide all other files and folders from a specific mobile device, how can this be done?

It can't be. Accounts are not meant to be shared like that so there are no security settings on folders or options for hiding folders. A single Dropbox account is meant for an individual, so there would be no reason for such features.

I respectfully disagree, as I mentioned I have a lot of files that can't be viewed or are useless on the mobile device so why would I need to see them there.

With regards to the photo view, is there a way to at least make it use my folder structure in lieu of the "timeline" view?

Thanks 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

SteveInGB wrote:

I was commenting based on your stated use, which was to hid folders from your wife's mobile device. In such a case there would be no reason to have that ability since Dropbox wasn't intended to be shared like that.

You can view your photos in the Files view which would show your own folder structure, but the Photos view will always use either the Timeline or Albums.

SteveInGB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks again for the quick response! You know, it's been a while since I looked at the files view, the last time I tried to use it on a mobile device, the folders were not listed at the top making it very frustrating and difficult to find what I was looking for, but I see now that has been changed and the fodlers are always at the top regardless of sort order, which is much better! Frankly, seeing the folders all grouped together as you would see in windows explorer resolves most of my issues with wanting to hide certain folders as I can now easily and quickly find exactly what I'm looking for.

Now if I could just hide the view pane (on the ipad) until I actually select a file, that would be fantastick! :grinning:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SteveInGB New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?