Did you mean: 

How to set sort order default

SOLVED
7 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3

How to set sort order default

Re: Dropbox desktop application (Windows 10) I want to change the default for sort order. I see how to sort my files, but not how to set a default. Every time I open up my camera uploads folder my pictures always default to sort by  "name, ascending order". That's not useful to me. I want them to sort by date modified, descending order, so that the most recent camera uploads are always at the top.

I seem to have to do this every single time I open the folder. Pain in the you know. Why can't I make the setting sticky?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: How to set sort order default

You didnt say it was the website, you were talking about the desktop client.

It isnt possible to set defaults via the website.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

7 Replies
Super User II

Thats nothing to do with Dropbox I'm afraid Michael.

You need to do that within Windows and if it isnt staying that way speak to Microsoft about why.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Mark wrote:
Thats nothing to do with Dropbox I'm afraid Michael.

You need to do that within Windows and if it isnt staying that way speak to Microsoft about why.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't understand it. Note, I am not talking about Windows file management, but am talking about the display features on www.dropbox.com itself. How is that not to do with Dropbox?   

Solution
Super User II

You didnt say it was the website, you were talking about the desktop client.

It isnt possible to set defaults via the website.

Level 2

I'm logged into my account and I am unable to set my sort preferences. I want decending and modified so I can see the most current items first. (Why would anyone want to see the oldest items first?) Having to select this sort each time and wait for the items to load each time is ridiculous.

Does anyone from Dropbox view these posts to add as feature requests to their roadmap?

Level 3

RH88 wrote:

I'm logged into my account and I am unable to set my sort preferences. I want decending and modified so I can see the most current items first. (Why would anyone want to see the oldest items first?) Having to select this sort each time and wait for the items to load each time is ridiculous.

Does anyone from Dropbox view these posts to add as feature requests to their roadmap?

That was exactly my point and my frustration. I have pretty much solved it however, but not thanks to Dropbox. I am now using Google Photos as my primary backup for my camera uploads as it functions more intuitively, as in the more logical order with newest photos at the top. Plus I have far more storage for free than with Dropbox. I will still use Dropbox but it will no longer be my primary goto.

Level 2

My Dropbox annual renewal is coming up in a couple months so hopefully this is resovled by then. What a hassle to have to move everything to another storage. I always hesitate to come into DB to organize my pics bc it's so cumbersome. 

Glad you are sorted! <--pun intended winking face

Rachel

Community Manager

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face