cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I'm facing an issue with slow Camera Uploads from my iPhone XS. Why is that?

Level 2

Hi Jane, I also experience the same issue: Camera upload is very very slow on my iPhone XS. It does nos even work well when I have the app opened (not only in background). I have Background upload enabled, I do not use iCloud. On my previous iPhone 5S it worked without any problems.

Also Background upload always disables itself after a few minutes, so it works just for a few photos at a time. Then I have to open the app again.

Is Apple somehow blocking Dropbox? Or is it a problem in your Dropbox app?

6 Replies

Re: I'm facing an issue with slow Camera Uploads from my iPhone XS. Why is that?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Cattaslysm), kindly note I’ve moved your post on a new discussion here, as the thread you had posted under was a bit outdated, so I’d suggest starting off anew (however you can always use it a as point of reference here)

From there, would you mind having a look at the suggestions posted under this resource here ? 

Spoiler
  • Have you tried to switch to a different network perchance? You won’t always need to connect your phone to a different Wi-Fi, but camera uploads might be slower if your data signal isn’t strong.
  • Are you using Google Photos & Camera Uploads simultaneously incidentally?
  • Have you tried toggling Location services off & then on once? If not, would you mind giving it a go whenever you have a bit of spare time? 
Please check back on how these tips work for you at your earliest convenience & do let me know of the outcome, so as to further advise on the best next steps. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: I'm facing an issue with slow Camera Uploads from my iPhone XS. Why is that?

Level 4

This is a serious issue, and I have been battling it for a while, and already updated a third time (I wait for each update to fix this), and still not working properly. I am also on an iPhone XS Max, updated on my iOS to the latest.

I count on DropBox to backup my pics, and it does exactly as Cattaslysm describes - it does not.

The upload is extremely slow, and halts if the app is not open in front of you (cannot let your phone turn off the screen, or it stops).

I am what you would call a "Level 3" IT support person.

I tried testing this on differnet platforms, networks, physical locations- all of which were "hardline" networks, not cell based. I included using a network running AP's and a controller that can monitor the traffic, home "normal" ISP router network, and also user owned modem/router to test this.

Note that l used AC/N/G connections, all with same results, even if I was standing right at an AP capable of 700mbs connection, which was hooked up to a gig network that goes out at 250Mb ISP upload connection. Before testing I made sure no outgoing traffic is happening beyond small calls of random devices of 10mbs- 30mbs uploads. 

Last note, I even tried this through 2 different internal VPN networks.

Thank you!

Dropboxer
Hey there (@AcerV), thanks for the nudge & the detailed report of the troubleshooting steps you've already tried on your end. As you mentioned that you’ve already ruled out this issue being attributed to your connection, I’d also recommend ensuring that you’ve updated your phone to the latest OS version (12.1.4) & you’re also running the latest version of our app (132.2). Would you mind checking back on any missing updates if it’s not too much trouble for you?

If everything is Up-To-Date & this persists for you, please ping me back here & I’ll make sure to reach back out to you on my end. Thanks for posting us on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply with the outcome!  

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Super User II

Just for comparison, I'm also on a XS Max and have no issues with the speed of Camera Uploads, regardless of whether the app it open or it's uploading in the background.

I've recently updated to iOS 12.2 Beta 4 and Dropbox Beta 134.1.2, but it was working just fine on the latest stable versions of both as well.

Level 4

Hi Jane,

All my testing was on 12.1.4, and my posting came after I updated to DB 132.3.2, and still the same issues are happening.

There is no background uploading happening whatsoever.

Based on what @Rich is saying, I am lost for ideas.

It used to be seemless, and I have never had anything waiting to upload after a full night at home. The only other factor I am thinking about...is it because the videos I have are at 4K and 60p vs the iPhone default? It might sound far fetched, but considering files are encrypted going up to the cloud, could the massive compression (even of small 10 sec videos) causing something to "break"going out? I have only switched to the higher res about 2 months ago, and then started noticing this. I was sure it was potentially huge UHD video files, but notices that even 300MB files where getting stuck. just thinking out loud here.

Thank you!

Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt update with the outcome of the troubleshooting steps you’ve tried (@AcerV); let me dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on this discrepancy through our Official Support channel. So as to look into this matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again!

Jane

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm facing an issue with slow Camera Uploads from my iPhone XS. Why is that?
6 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post