cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I've lost my Dropbox photos after a phone reset. What should I do?

While on vacation, my cell phone decided to reset itself to factory settings.  I lost all my pics etc. on Dropbox.  Any way I can retrieve them?  I did download the app again.  Please help!  I have pics that are sentimental to me that I can never get again.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Cell Phone Reset Itself

Dropboxer
Hey @Firebug0611, while I’ve located your open support request on our system & I can see that you’re in an open discussion with my colleague there, I’m wondering if you haven’t been able to see their message on your end (i.e. that’s because they had messaged you back on Tuesday). 

Now, assuming that your photos were uploaded to your Dropbox account prior to the phone reset, you should be able to retrieve them just fine. 

Spoiler
  • For starters, let’s quickly check if these were synced to your account online. If you’re signed in on your Dropbox account on our website, can you look up for some example file names on the Search box 🔍on the top-right hand corner on your Account
  • It would be worth mentioning that you could also visit your Deleted Files page for recent deletions. Would you mind checking out there, too? 
  • As you mentioned that you’ve downloaded our mobile app, I’m wondering if you’ve accidentally made a typo when you were signing in. Could this apply by any chance? 
Once you get a chance to have a look at my pointers, please do let me know of your findings & I’ll do my best to check back with you on this discussion. Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hi, I believe I had to create a new account because I couldn't remember my password.  Is this my problem?  If so, what should I do?  Uninstall and try again to remember my old account and password?  Luckily this time I transfered my pics etc. to my laptop.

Thanks for the guidance....looking forward to a solution!

Super User II

@Firebug0611 wrote:

Hi, I believe I had to create a new account because I couldn't remember my password.

Click the Forgot your password? link below the sign-in form to reset your password. Change your password then sign-in to the Dropbox app using your previous account.

I found my old account with all my pics etc.  Is there a way to transfer these pics to my new account all to my cell phone?

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to us here @Firebug0611 sharing the news! As you’ve mentioned that you’ve located the account now, I’m wondering if you’ve merely located a copy of the items you had stored there. If so, then you’ll have to plan your next steps depending on where you've currently stored this content (eg. desktop/ online/ mobile). 

Alternatively, if you wish to transfer files between two accounts, then the easiest way to accomplish that would be through a shared folder

I hope that my advice helps you retrieve your valuable photos & I’m always here if you have more questions. Thanks again for sticking with us on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I've lost my Dropbox photos after a phone reset. What should I do?
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post