cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mac photos on dropbox

Mac photos on dropbox

Luanne R.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have both the "Camera Uploads" and "Photos Library.photoslibrary" on Dropbox.  I want to take both of them off because I now have my photos on the Apple cloud.

How can I take them both off and make sure I don't permantly delete any of my photos?

Thank you,

L

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Luanne R.1, You can disable importing photos to Dropbox from the preferences. Click the Dropbox icon on the Menubar > Click the gear icon > and choose Preferences

2018-07-18 at 1.11 PM.png

Next, go to Import tab, and uncheck the Enable camera uploads checkbox. 

2018-07-18 at 1.12 PM.png

You should not delete the Photos Library.photoslibrary as it contains the data of your photos, albums, slideshows, and print projects. You can simply drag the file outside the Dropbox folder, the default location is Users > [username] > Pictures. Once, you drag this file there, you can double click to open it. It should lauch the Photos app, and everything should work fine. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you’re looking to remove these folders from your Dropbox folder but continue having them in your Dropbox account, I’d recommend checking out selective sync. Also, if you’d like more info on how to disable camera uploads, have a look at this Help Center article.

If you want to remove them from your Dropbox account, you can delete them from the website:
  1. Navigate to Files. 
  2. Click on the ellipsis (…) next to the folder or file in question. 
  3. Go to Delete.
  4. Select Delete from the options given in the pop up window. 
If you want to undo the deletion and restore a folder or file
  1. Click on Show deleted files.
  2. Locate the folder or file you want to restore. 
  3. Click on the ellipsis (…) next to the folder or file. 
  4. Go to Restore.
  5. Select Restore all files
Please remember though that Dropbox Basic (free) or Plus accounts can recover files or folders deleted in the last 30 days, and Dropbox Professional or Business accounts have 120 days to recover deleted files.

If I’ve misunderstood your concern or if you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to get back to me here. In the mean time, have a wonderful day ahead! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Luanne R.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thank you Lusil,
I did not find any information about disabling camera uploads in the help center article. I found only information about getting it started. I did get online and delete the Camera Upload. I also turned download off on my phone.  I hope that was enough. I now have iCloud for my photos and do not want them going to both places.

I tried deleting my “Photos Library.photoslibrary” online but I got a message saying the file is too large and that I need to do it on my computer. When I got Dropbox, I asked for help in moving the pictures in the new Mac app, “Photos” into dropbox. I was told to just drag it into Dropbox, but it took the pictures and the app. So I am afraid if I just delete it, I will also delete my “Photos” app and lose my pictures!

What do you recommend? Thank you,
Luanne

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Hey @Luanne R.1, You can disable importing photos to Dropbox from the preferences. Click the Dropbox icon on the Menubar > Click the gear icon > and choose Preferences

2018-07-18 at 1.11 PM.png

Next, go to Import tab, and uncheck the Enable camera uploads checkbox. 

2018-07-18 at 1.12 PM.png

You should not delete the Photos Library.photoslibrary as it contains the data of your photos, albums, slideshows, and print projects. You can simply drag the file outside the Dropbox folder, the default location is Users > [username] > Pictures. Once, you drag this file there, you can double click to open it. It should lauch the Photos app, and everything should work fine. 

Luanne R.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Elixir,

Thanks for the detailed info.  I have disabled the camera uploads. 

When I drag Photos Library.photoslibrary to the Pictures, I get a message saying that I already have a newer version, do I want to replace it or keep both?

I am afraid if I keep both, the pictures will merge and I’ll have a lot of double images…

What do you suggest?

Thank you,

L 

Need more support?