Announcements
In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

My png photos with transparent backgrounds now have a white background

23 Comments
11 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1

My png photos with transparent backgrounds now have a white background

I had several files (mostly logos) that had a transparent background and they all have white solid backgrounds now. I have no clue what happened but it is causing me serious issues. 

23 Replies
Super User II

Re: My png photos with transparent backgrounds now have a white background

Dropbox is not capable of altering your files in such a way. If the files have actually changed to have a white background (and it's not just a display problem) then something else is the cause.

Level 1

What on earth could have caused that? It's every one of my png files that is in my dropbox account. Some that were not stored on my computer. It's as if they were changed to jpg. I am able to open other png files with transparent backgrounds that are not in my dropbox account and they work just fine. Dropbox is the only common denominator. 

Super User II

Do you have one that you can create a link to and post here? This should be a file that doesn't contain any private information, children, sensitive/explicit material, etc. Basically, a file you don't mind showing to the rest of the Internet as an example.

Level 1

Same for me. Here's the link. The hat was a transparent PNG but now has a white BG.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9sda4jrvj7fc3p/hat.png

The PNG uploaded is now 24 bit, which means no transparency. The original was 32 bit, with transparency.

Level 2

This is happening to me too, this is causing problems for my business :(

Super User II

As has been said Dropbox simply cannot edit files, so you may wish to look at how they are being edited and uploaded. What applications are you using for that?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Level 3

I can download each png as needed and they remain transparent.  But I would like to drag and drop (directly from dropbox) into photoshop if possible.  Does anyone know how to do this? 

Super User II

You cant do it from the website because you'd then be dragging and dropping the preview.

If you've got Dropbox installed on your machine you can drag/drop from the Dropbox folder, however, and that would work fine.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible!