cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my PNG backgrounds not transparent when I upload them to Dropbox?

Why are my PNG backgrounds not transparent when I upload them to Dropbox?

Molly m.4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had several files (mostly logos) that had a transparent background and they all have white solid backgrounds now. I have no clue what happened but it is causing me serious issues. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tomboates
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox is not editing your files... it is generating a copy of the file that does not include transparency and displaying that as a "preview" of your file to improve load times on their website. 

Dropbox creates the image shown in the center which includes a white background. This means that dragging and dropping this image, or right-clicking and selecting "save image as..." will result in you downloading the Dropbox preview version. HOWEVER, if you use the "Download" button on the top right of the page, you will download the un-edited version of your file.

dropbox.com.png

The problem is that while this change may have shaved a fraction of a second off page load time, it seems to have screwed up a lot of people's workflows as a result. I think Dropbox needs to consider changing it back or at least find ways to ensure these common workflows result in the desired outcome.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is not capable of altering your files in such a way. If the files have actually changed to have a white background (and it's not just a display problem) then something else is the cause.

Molly m.4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What on earth could have caused that? It's every one of my png files that is in my dropbox account. Some that were not stored on my computer. It's as if they were changed to jpg. I am able to open other png files with transparent backgrounds that are not in my dropbox account and they work just fine. Dropbox is the only common denominator. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Do you have one that you can create a link to and post here? This should be a file that doesn't contain any private information, children, sensitive/explicit material, etc. Basically, a file you don't mind showing to the rest of the Internet as an example.

Harold N.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same for me. Here's the link. The hat was a transparent PNG but now has a white BG.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9sda4jrvj7fc3p/hat.png

The PNG uploaded is now 24 bit, which means no transparency. The original was 32 bit, with transparency.

greenrosetta
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is happening to me too, this is causing problems for my business 😞

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
As has been said Dropbox simply cannot edit files, so you may wish to look at how they are being edited and uploaded. What applications are you using for that?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ShelleyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Has anyone found a solution to this?

ShelleyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can download each png as needed and they remain transparent.  But I would like to drag and drop (directly from dropbox) into photoshop if possible.  Does anyone know how to do this? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You cant do it from the website because you'd then be dragging and dropping the preview.

If you've got Dropbox installed on your machine you can drag/drop from the Dropbox folder, however, and that would work fine.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harold N.1 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Molly m.4 Explorer | Level 4
    apraetor Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?