cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my PNG backgrounds not transparent when I upload them to Dropbox?

Why are my PNG backgrounds not transparent when I upload them to Dropbox?

Molly m.4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had several files (mostly logos) that had a transparent background and they all have white solid backgrounds now. I have no clue what happened but it is causing me serious issues. 

25 Replies 25

ShelleyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I do have dropbox installed on my mac but just "unsynced" my clipart to free up space.

Can I do what you're suggesting without having the files using space on my mac? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Not unless you are a Business user with SmartSync.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ShelleyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am!  🙂

NoahB
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too am having a similar issue. While on my computer, the backgrounds of the png files I created through mac powerpoint are transparent. When I upload them to google drive or other image hosting websites, the background remains transparent, but when I upload them to dropbox, the background turns white.  Below is an example of an image before I uploaded it to dropbox and after I re-downloaded it from dropbox (The problem begins as soon as I upload it, apparent from the background appearing white on all dropbox-generated image links, displays, etc.). 

If it is not dropbox causing the problem, what else do you think it could be?

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 9.46.55 AM.png

londonuser
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have just realised the same problem!

Checked many scenarios and it happens only inside Dropbox.

Before uploading, and after I download the same file from Dropbox, it has a transparent background as intended.

However, while in Dropbox it is always showing up ith white background, both in the Dropbox Preview and if I open a shared Dropbox link with another application such as Chrome Browser. 

jsmusiker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same for me. It's obviously the Preview in Dropbox. But I would think the Preview is just as important as the downloaded image, right? Any answers?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The previewed image is not the same as the original. It's just a preview, and is optimized as needed for display on the preview page. If you need the original, unaltered file, you need to download it.

jsmusiker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I understand it's only a preview. But, this was clearly just changed. It showed accurately a month ago I believe. Why make such a drastic change? So now you have to download multiple files just to find the one you need?

Just doesn't make any sense.

It worked, now it doesn't...

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @jsmusiker

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, I'd be glad to look into that with you!

To further assist you on this request, would you mind sending in some more details on the matter, such as the steps you’re following, so that I reproduce on my end? 

Secondly, is the experience you’re receiving the same as Noah’s or different? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

rogerpenna
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You people may say all you want that DropBox won´t edit the files, but it's happening anyway. The DropBox visualizer changes the image to a PNG without transparency (24 bits?) and if you download THAT image, it saves as a PNG with white background.

If you download the file directly from the folder, it will save alright, with transparent background.

What people are doing and resulting in a problem is visualizing the image and then saving it.

It's clear that if you visualize the image inside DropBox and then save it and it lost the transparent background, that DropBox IS INDEED editing the file somehow, even if you blame the visualizer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Harold N.1 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Molly m.4 Explorer | Level 4
    apraetor Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?