cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that Dropbox uploads .heic files from newer iPhones, does that include Live Photos?

SOLVED
5 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

Now that Dropbox uploads .heic files from newer iPhones, does that include Live Photos?

There's a long-running thread about Dropbox's lack of support for Live Photos on iDevices, but I notice that Dropbox now supports the new .heic format. Does this include the motion part of a live photo too?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Now that Dropbox uploads .heic files from newer iPhones, does that include Live Photos?

Currently, this isn’t supported. That is, if you save a Live Photo to your Dropbox, it will not be live online, or if you download it. The Live info is not being uploaded with the photo. I’ve just attempted to do this here, and no matter what I tried, no Live Photo. 

Not sure if this is something that will be fixed” by us or by Apple. 
I’ll see what I can find out, and get back to you winking face

Cheers! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

5 Replies
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Now that Dropbox uploads .heic files from newer iPhones, does that include Live Photos?

Currently, this isn’t supported. That is, if you save a Live Photo to your Dropbox, it will not be live online, or if you download it. The Live info is not being uploaded with the photo. I’ve just attempted to do this here, and no matter what I tried, no Live Photo. 

Not sure if this is something that will be fixed” by us or by Apple. 
I’ll see what I can find out, and get back to you winking face

Cheers! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 2

I really hope Dropbox manages to add support for Live Photos. I'm now getting close to a year of photos that exist nowhere but on my phone. The static versions are backed up on Dropbox but if something happens to my phone the Live versions will be lost. And now I'm starting to get closer to filling up my phone. When that happens I'll have no choice but to migrate over to iCloud which does back up Live Photos. I know that's what Apple wants me to do, but I do not want to, since I've been a happy Dropbox customer for years.

Dropboxer

Hey @Magnus T.2I hear you, and our team is working on it. 

I believe that if you upload your images manually, without using Camera Uploads, they will upload fully, correctly. Can you give this a try, and let me know? Not the ideal solution, I know, but if it works, you’ll at least be able to get your images off your phone! 

Thanks, and have a great weekend smiling face with sunglasses

slightly smiling face

Level 2

Hi, I tried this, choosing:

(+)

Upload Photos

<Select photo>

Next

<Tried both HEIC and JPG>

Photo gets uploaded, but I can't see that I get any live features, either integrated or through an additional MOV file

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that, and getting back to me. I think it would be best for you to submit a support ticket here, so an agent can investigate further with you. 

I’m sorry we couldn’t get this resolved here. 
Cheers 

slightly smiling face