cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting audio when downloading a video

Only getting audio when downloading a video

emarlow1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi all,

My friend has uploaded 3 video's for me, she has an iPhone and I have a samsung. I need to download these video's so that I can edit them for a video we are creating but they will only download the audio when I have tried on both my phone and comp. 

Can anyone help me find a solution?

Emma

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hilite2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You have Samsung? It's great! Try this app (for free in playstore) to get solved your Audio-Problem! The Name is "You-Cut". I have had many Problems too, and all are now solved! It's the best app! You can try to open the Video with this app for example at first

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey emarlow1, I’m here to look into that with you! 

• For starters, are you trying to download the images from a shared link? Has your friend shared a folder with you by any chance? What are the steps you’re following exactly (on the web/ on our phone)? 
  • Additionally, are you getting any error messages? I’d appreciate it if you included a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next message here, so that we check the case & send over the most relevant next steps.
I’ll be awaiting your next reply & I’m wishing you a fruitful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

emarlow1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, Thank you for your reply. 

It is a shared folder, she uploaded into a dropbox folder and then shared them with me with the ability to edit. 

On my comp I do not get any error messages, I can download them fine but when I open them I only get the audio, no picture at all.

When I try and download them onto my phone I get nothing. I 'export' them from dropbox into a folder on my phone and when it's shown as complete I go onto that folder and there's nothing there at all. I have tried exporting it to a number of folders and nothing happens. 

I don't really have anything to screenshot as there is no errors.

Thanks!

Hilite2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You have Samsung? It's great! Try this app (for free in playstore) to get solved your Audio-Problem! The Name is "You-Cut". I have had many Problems too, and all are now solved! It's the best app! You can try to open the Video with this app for example at first

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

emarlow1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you, what do I need to do when I've got the app? what are the steps? 

Emma

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for all these additional details Emma (emarlow1), & nice meeting you on our Forum, let me follow-up in a bit more detail below!

As you’ve mentioned that you can download the file on your pc, though you can only load the file audio, it’s my understanding that maybe your Media Player can’t load this specific filetype correctly. In other words, when you download the video locally, you’ll need an application that can open this filetype. 

The same applies on your Samsung device, as Dropbox uses the other applications you have installed on your device to let you view files that can’t be viewed natively within our app. When you tap on a file, you will be given a list of available apps to use to open your video. If you don’t have an app to open the file, then your best bet would be to look for an app that plays this specific filetype. 

Just as a point of reference, what’s the file extension? Can you preview your video on your account online

(Note: Here are the file types that preview as a video! )
Spoiler
.3gp
.3gpp
.3gpp2
.asf
.avi
.dv
.flv
.m2t
.m4v
.mkv
.mov
.mp4
.mpeg
.mpg
.mts
.oggtheora
.ogv
.rm
.ts
.vob
.webm
.wmv

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dudk1ns
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello! Most likely you have a standard Windows video player installed. The transmitted video with iphone is likely in the format. " MOV ". On this to solve the problem recommend to install a third-party video player on the PC (eg "VLC or" KMPlayer "), and to edit the video for Android recommend to install" VivaVideo "or" KineMaster ".

I hope I could help you!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dudk1ns New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    emarlow1 Explorer | Level 3
    Hilite2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?