cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture size is much smaller when downloading it from the site?

Picture size is much smaller when downloading it from the site?

Craig C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I uploaded pictures 2400 pixels high, but when downloaded from Dropbox they are only 860 pixels high.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi guys!

Dropbox uploads your photos in full resolution. However, when photos are previewed in an app or webview, we show you a scaled down version for faster loading. If you’d like to view your photos in full resolution, I would recommend downloading the photo using the Dropbox client or using the download button.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox will upload files at full resolution, but preview them at a downscaled resolution to conserve bandwidth. To view the files at full resolution, you will need to fully download the file.

Craig C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you, but how do I fully download a file? What do I click on?

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you using the Dropbox app on Android or iOS, the Dropbox application or just the Dropbox website?

Craig C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a Dropbox app & folder on our iMac desktop, and I also use Dropbox online. I uploaded a folder of large images, but when I download them they are smaller (1200 pixels), using the email link created by Dropbox for that folder. I must be downloading the previews, instead of the actual images. I'm a portrait photographer, so I need to ensure that our customers can download full-size images when we send them an email link.

Jo P.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm in the same situation as you Craig C. Did you get a resolved answer as to how to stop the reduction of pixels in photo's?  I didn't realize it was happening until today. I had 2 customers tell me they can't get a good quality picture. That was disturbing!

Craig C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Nope, I still don't understand how I had downloaded downsized images.

Craig C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Nope, I still don't understand how I had downloaded downsized images.

Kaz
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi guys!

Dropbox uploads your photos in full resolution. However, when photos are previewed in an app or webview, we show you a scaled down version for faster loading. If you’d like to view your photos in full resolution, I would recommend downloading the photo using the Dropbox client or using the download button.

Kim C.23
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Kaz and all you other Dropbox Brainiacs out there!

I'm in the same boat as these other guys and don't understand your resolution you put forth yet.

I have the Dropbox iOS. When I 'Save Image' on an 7 meg file it appears in my Camera Roll on my phone - fine. But if I were to immediately email that same file back to myself it is now showing as 2.1 megs. The file that is now on Dropbox is unprintable at that resolution.  

However, if I were to email it to myself from Dropbox, 'Save Image', and email it back to myself it remains at the original size of 7 megs. So there is a way around this but it's a pain in the ass. Any suggestions on how to fix it so it just uploads and downloads the full file? 

Thanks so much!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter L.3 New member | Level 2
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Katherine M.8 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?