Announcements
In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

Preserving location information

SOLVED
9 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted

Preserving location information

Is there a way in Dropbox to preserve my photos' location information the way it was displayed on my phone? I do see where Dropbox shows the date and GPS coordinates of the pictures, but my phone shows things like the city name, even area of the city, where the photos were taken. This kind of information is much more meaningful to me than GPS coordinates, and I wonder if there is a way to keep it when uploading pictures to Dropbox?
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Preserving location information

It doesnt, no, sorry.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

9 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @Bucklemeswash, welcome to our forum! 

Where are you viewing the photos that show only date and GPS coordinates? If you don’t mind, can you send me a screenshot or two, showing what you are describing? 

Also, what type of phone are you using? 

Thanks! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

from iPhonefrom iPhonefrom Dropboxfrom DropboxHello! Thank you for responding! I am using an iPhone 5S. The two attached screenshots are the same picture. The one with the picture in it is from my phone's photo stream, as you can see it includes the area of the city where the picture was taken. The other is what I see when I open the same picture in Dropbox and click on the i icon at the bottom of the screen. It includes GPS coordinates of the location, but I was hoping for a way of preserving information like "Ottawa- Little Italy", like it said in my photo stream.

Super User II

That information is embedded within the photo itself. The iPhone's Photos app is simply converting the GPS coordinates to a more user-friendly format and showing the city name. That's a function specific to the OS or app that you're using. Dropbox isn't actually stripping any information from your photo.

Oh that's so good to know, thank you! But does Dropbox have a way to display this information in a similarly user-friendly format?

Solution
Super User II

It doesnt, no, sorry.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

I have a follow up question. Is there a way to view the location coordinates from the web or only on the app?

Super User II

No way on the web I'm afraid other than downloading the file and looking at it there.

Level 2

Thanks for your quick reply!

Dropboxer

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face