cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Accidental Moving or Deletion of Files/Folders

Prevent Accidental Moving or Deletion of Files/Folders

Roy K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I accidentally moved my folders today by mistakenly clicking on it. My question is, is there a way to prevent this from happening, like adding a prompt if a folder is going to be moved or deleted? It will prevent accidental moving or deletion of files/folders.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No

Moves etc, are handled by your operating system NOT Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No

Moves etc, are handled by your operating system NOT Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Change the permissions on the folders in your operating system so you cant move or erase them.

Bart M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This would be a very useful feature for Dropbox to implement.  

If Dropbox cannot add a prompt, could they maybe mimic permissions set on the owners folders to other people's shared folders, so that moving and deleting is more difficult? 

Gregory T.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I accidentally deleted my Dropbox folder on a local desktop - it was a slip of the finger - instead of a click on the folder, i hel the mouse a sevond too long and dagged the folder to the adjacent folder, which my OS "interpreted" as a Delete folder operation.

(I recovered all files  though it took me some time to figure out what was going on, and how to fix the problem, and then a couple of hours to download all the deleted files again. )

sure, it's my fault.   

Still, this is not a very secure system, if such a simple error can occur. It would be nice to have at least some interaction with dropbox.com, which asks, "do you really want to delete all these folders???"

David M.150
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed - would be extremely helpful to have some sort of prompt or pop-up on the desktop Dropbox program that would give you one chance to stop the train before all your 2016 client files end up copied into a totally unrelated folder and take days to sync both ways...

Server_Align
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I agree it would be very nice, however totally unpractical to implement.

The reason is the dropbox app only watches the dropbox folder for changes, and then replicates those to the cloud.

So has no interaction with the move or delete event in explorer or otherwise until it has completed, and only then is it informed of the loosing end of the move/delete (assuming its out of the dropbox folder).

A quick analogy would be to hope a smoke detector would stop the fire from happening. Its great at what it does, but cant prevent what it detects.

Atle J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi. In my case I have the files only in the Dropbox cloud, not locally. Purpose is mainly for backup of my pictures and videos. Would it be possible to protect them from being deleted in any way? I'd say it's a short way from adding this folder to a computer and then deleting it by accident. A simple parameter on a folder saying 'delete protection' would be perfect for backup purposes.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It isnt possible, no.

Robert P.28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

All of a sudden many files are missing from my Dropbox without me deleting them. These are files that I do not have on my desktop, only in Dropbox, and now not there. I do have them  backed up on a separate hard drive but this is a serious problem if I can't trust Dropbox to retain my files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert P.28 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Atle J. New member | Level 1
    Server_Align Collaborator | Level 10
    David M.150 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?