Did you mean: 

Running Lightroom, Dropbox on two Computers

SOLVED
2 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 1

Running Lightroom, Dropbox on two Computers

Setting up Lightroom on a Windows device and a second computer Mac Laptop.  Photos are in Dropbox as is the LR Catalogue.  LR works fine on single Windows machine.  When I try to access on Mac, the catalog opens fine, but it cannot find images.  I suspect it is because the file path name prefix shown in Dropbox before the Dropbox name is unique to each machine.  i.e. User/E/Dropbox/xxx/xxx and on Mac MacintoshHD/users/jody/Dropbox/xxx/xxx. 

Any simple suggestions on how to resolve what I think is a simple file pointing issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 2

Re: Running Lightroom, Dropbox on two Computers

I always change the location of my dropbox to a second drive and make sure that on all my computers the use the same drive letter for that location.  If you can't have a second drive then make sure the dropbox is in the root directory for the c drive.  This has worked for other things but I am still looking into lightroom.  My catalogue is over 2gb and I am thinking that it might be too big to be syncing all the time.  I am going to test out opening a backup of my catalogue on the other computer and then do a sync of the folders when I have done work with the other machine.  The important thing is to make sure the path to your images is the same in both catalogues.

2 Replies
Solution
Level 2

I always change the location of my dropbox to a second drive and make sure that on all my computers the use the same drive letter for that location.  If you can't have a second drive then make sure the dropbox is in the root directory for the c drive.  This has worked for other things but I am still looking into lightroom.  My catalogue is over 2gb and I am thinking that it might be too big to be syncing all the time.  I am going to test out opening a backup of my catalogue on the other computer and then do a sync of the folders when I have done work with the other machine.  The important thing is to make sure the path to your images is the same in both catalogues.

Super User II

Jeff is correct that a common location across computers for the Dropbox folder would typically resolve this, but that assumes the same operating systems as well. Since Windows and Mac use different references for their drives, it won't work across the two operating systems.

Simply put, across multiple operating systems, it's doubtful that you'll be able to resolve this. The only chance I see you having is if Lightroom can use relative paths for the file references, or if you can create a custom variable to the root of your Dropbox folder and reference that as part of the path, assuming that's even possible within Lightroom.