Announcements
In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

Saving Preview Pics _preview_jpeg

4 Comments
3 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6

Saving Preview Pics _preview_jpeg

Great now when you right click on a picture and save the picture as.

It has the file name and then _preview_jpeg added to the file name.

Why are you making this product so difficult to use!

4 Replies
Super User II

Re: Saving Preview Pics _preview_jpeg

Eric S.83 wrote:

Great now when you right click on a picture and save the picture as it has the file name and then _preview_jpeg.

That's because you're trying to save the preview image; not the original.

When you view a file on the Dropbox website, it's a preview of the original. In the case of an image, it's a smaller, lower resolution copy of the original file. To download the original file you need to click the Download button in the top right corner of the page.

de021530156e18680f3f6ebaa5aac7b8.png

Level 6

I understand that. But the smaller resolution also works for our needs.

I don't the see the need to add _preview_jpeg to the file name just because you are downloading the preview image.

This needs to be reverted back. I have learned to deal with the recent album changes but this is not necessary and only making my employees do double the work.

Dropbox needs to do some questioning and testing with its paid Members before they do these kind of tweaks.

Unless someone complained about this but where do you complain and get results?

Super User II

Eric S.83 wrote:
I don't the see the need to add _preview_jpeg to the file name just because you are downloading the preview image. ... This needs to be reverted back.

I disagree. If I'm downloading a copy of the image that isn't the original, I like that it's been renamed to differentiate it from the original. This way, there's no confusion over whether the file is the original or a preview copy of lower resolution.

... where do you complain and get results?

Level 6

Well then you can pay your employees to rename the preview file. 😎

The download button is clearly visible if you want the original. But when you are protecting your images and you want to send a customer an example you don't want to give them the original.

With our employees having to download pics for daily orders that can reach up to 75 a day and 500 during holidays and send emails to customers with the pic that's already named with the customers order number it's just another step in a long process.

I'll see what I can do about sending the suggestion to Dropbox.

Thanks Rich