cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting all starred photos

Selecting all starred photos

bobbo1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I need to select all of the photo's that we recently starred.  The only way I can see them all together is on my homepage but from there you cannot select multiple photo's and there are no checkboxes.   Shift or control mouse clicks don't work.

When I go to the folder I know they are in there is no way to sort by "starred" or filter "starred".

A star appears next to those photo's which have been starred when I am in that folder but as soon as I click the checkbox the stars for all other "starred" photo's just disappear.

I have also tried searching for "starred" photo's in the search bar but it doesn't come back with the correct results.  

I had my wife go through over 6,000 photo's to figure out which one's she'd like in our holiday calendar and she "starred" over 300 photo's.  

Also tried going into the attributes on the local files on my PC hoping that there was some tag that dropbox adds to these files that I could sort by but still nothing.

If I can't figure this out I am a DEAD man LOL!  Really not funny 😞

Is there is no way other way to do this other than opening each individual picture from my homepage and downloading them 1 at a time?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Starring a file only makes it appear on your home page for quick access. There's no way to select all or filter on all starred files.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Starring a file only makes it appear on your home page for quick access. There's no way to select all or filter on all starred files.

ayeshaji
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is not an acceptable solution. Please fix.

calledhandid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

seems no fix way

Kalbir
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Totally agree - starred is worse than there being no feature to star at all. It gives you the idea that you will be able to collect these photos together but there is nothing you can do with them once you have actually starred them. 

So as with the original poster, you spend a load of time starring things, only to learn that it was pointless. 

Was there any user research on this "feature"?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kalbir 

I'm not sure what the point of the Home page is actually, but, I seriously doubt it will ever include Photo functionality like you are all talking about I'm afraid - as similar things to what you've mentioned have not long since been removed from Dropbox's website.

Sadly as well

@ayeshaji and @calledhandid - there actually isnt anything to fix. Its working as intended. Albeit in a less than helpful way. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IainB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@bobbo1 wrote:

I need to select all of the photo's that we recently starred.  The only way I can see them all together is on my homepage but from there you cannot select multiple photo's and there are no checkboxes.   Shift or control mouse clicks don't work.

If I can't figure this out I am a DEAD man LOL!  Really not funny 😞

Is there is no way other way to do this other than opening each individual picture from my homepage and downloading them 1 at a time?

Just a thought, one your Dropbox home page, can you not just drag and drop each starred image into a new folder? Still a bit laborious, but would get the job done.

Charles M.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nope, can't even do that.  Starring is essentially useless.

barbapapaki
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The only way that worked for me was through Dropbox's Iphone App.

Open the App.

Go to the folder with your files, some of which are already "starred".

Select "List View" [this does not work while on "Grid View"].

Tap on Select (top right).

And then Select from your list - manually, one by one - all the files that have the "star" next to their name.

It's not the most straightforward way and Dropbox can definitely improve this functionality, but if your starred files are not in the thousands and/or if you are patient enough, this solution should work.

martin_z1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a similar problem - I've done exactly the same as the original OP only my wife has selected about a thousand.

Can't do them one by one.

So I'm writing a script which will - download the list of names, and then find each one on my home computer and copy them into a new directory.  I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

But really, I shouldn't need to be a geek to solve this problem.

I totally agree - the "star" is almost useless as it stands.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    gah New member | Level 2
    kymdusting Helpful | Level 5
    AreYouKiddingMe New member | Level 2
    BobbeeV Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?