Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Photos page is changing...

SOLVED
287 Comments
224 Kudos
Level 4

Re: Seriously. After June 30 I either can't share a folder or...

Looks like they got that feedback - its now $10 per month unlimited. 

Level 4

Seeing as how Microsoft charges a lot more for computer vision, especially for videos, any flat rate is a good deal. But it looks like they got that feebback elsewhere, I just checked the site and the pricing is now a lot lower. 

Super User II

alphachannel wrote:

Or maybe they're planning to add a better experience? 

From the Photos announcement:

• The Photos page will be replaced with a new, streamlined photos experience that looks more like our redesigned Dropbox website. You’ll be able to access it by navigating to dropbox.com/photos or clicking on Photos in the left-hand menu of dropbox.com.

We’re continuing to work on new photos and file experiences on dropbox.com. As we learn more about how our users prefer to work with photos, we’ll launch improvements to the Photos page.

Level 4

I can't wait - especially on the iOS app. I just want to search for photos of my son at the beach, and just have all the photos that match that show up so I can show my friends on the spot. Instead, I'm stuck scrolling through thousands of photos until I find the one. 

Level 5

Google Photos does a phenomenal job with photos. Not only can they recognize people and things, but you can search using any metadata, including locations, dates, etc. I'm now using Google Photo free backup for my photos along with OneDrive for full resolution backup and sync to my desktop. If I need to find a photo, I'll search Google first to find it. I just don't want to rely on them for my sole backup without sync back to my desktop. Of course, Google Drive would probably accomplish the same thing, but I already have an Office 365 account with 1TB of storage. Why pay again if I don't have to? :D

Ju1 Level 2
Level 2

Re: The Photos page is changing...

Yes this functionality is going away.

They are making moves because of traffic and seems like they have a lot of costs. Although they claim its for customer experience, I believe they are making a mistake. June 30, 2017 will not be forgotten when they look back and dropbox is no longer as powerful as they once were. This seems like they want to force something in order to save money or drive even more traffic to dropbox. Let's see.

Super User II

Ju1 wrote:

They are making moves because of traffic and seems like they have a lot of costs.

That is complete speculation. No one knows what's behind the decision to change the photos experience because they haven't announced it, nor have they announced what the changes will be.

Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for your continued feedback on our upcoming changes.

I wanted to let you know that we've heard your concerns about how difficult it is to preserve your album structures in Dropbox. Our engineers have created a simple album export tool to help make this process easier. It's available starting today at the following URL:

www.dropbox.com/photos/album_download

The tool will allow you to download your albums to your desktop as .zip files. Please note that you'll be downloading a new copy of your photos, not moving them, so the photos will still exist in your Dropbox in the original location you saved them.

We hope this tool will help alleviate some of the frustration that some of you have reported in this thread. If you have any problems using the tool, feel free to contact us via www.dropbox.com/support.

Regards,
Richard

Super User II

Thanks, @RichardDBX. Very helpful and much appreciated!

Level 2

where do you recommend going for photo storage and sharing when you leave dropbox?