cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPLOADING RAW PHOTO FILES TO DROPBOX

UPLOADING RAW PHOTO FILES TO DROPBOX

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why does Dropbox not upload RAW photos from Mac Photos. It seems to alter them to JPEG

15 Replies 15

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Cant do a screen shot but it is a simple click and  drag from Photos to a new empty folder in Dropbox Folder opened in Finder. It then uploads to Dropbox but only as  .jpg even though the image in Photos is .cr2 ie a Canon RAW image. I have tried this with a group of images and also with a single image. All end up as .jpg even when dowloaded back to my Mac. Any more ideas?

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @senator12

I spoke to our support team and they recommended that you write them via www.dropbox.com/support with names of files that you see converting into jpg so they can investigate further.

Again, I wish we could help more here but this will need a more throughout troubleshooting.

Let me know once you have your ticket open so I can pass it directly to them. 

Thanks!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi senator12,

I did a quick google search and it sounds like drag-and-drop from Photos to Finder exports those files using whatever the selected or default export method is. In this case, it sounds like it is exporting as jpg. You need to go back to Photos and select the original files to add to Dropbox. I don't use Photos myself, but if you go back to Photos and right click on the image you might be able to open it in its real location in Finder, or be able to "export original" somehow.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

senator12
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Photos exports in jpeg, tiff or png. It is possible to export in RAW/CR2 but it is very long winded but I am looking for a better way. Overall it seems to be a Photos problem that wasn't there in iPhoto. Maybe the simple way would be to save on an external drive!! Thanks for all your help.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You're welcome! We're here to help.

The Dropbox desktop client has a Camera Uploads feature that uploads the original files to Dropbox. It may work better for your needs if you want to save the original files in Dropbox. The dialog should appear when you plug a camera into your computer. See 

https://help.dropbox.com/create-upload/camera-uploads-overview 

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

Boygeil89
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey folks

This Thread helped me a lot!

I actually had to realise first, that the pictures, which I had uploaded via the "Photos" app on my iPhone (Share --> DropBox)m were re-downloaded from iCloud and some received the current than their real date. Hence the pictures I had checken on DropBox Online showed the current date. The pictures - way back to 2011 - which I managed to transfer (each year) from iPhone to iPhone, got the right date on them.

It took me several weeks now, to learn this.

Just to repeat: DropBox maintains the original format (unless you activate the "automation" to do anything).

Kind regards

Howard

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Boygeil89 New member | Level 2
    Maple Dropbox Staff
    senator12 Helpful | Level 5
    Ed Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?