Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

8 Comments
1 Like
Highlighted
Level 3

Upload foto's Samsung S9 to Windows 10 PC

Two problems:

1. why are the filenames changed to the date followed by 6 or 7 incomprehensible numbers?

2. why are the RAW photos (DNG) not synchronized?

Mobile data is OK  and WiFi is on

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: Upload foto's Samsung S9 to Windows 10 PC

Renaming the files to a date and time stamp is done to avoid multiple files being uploaded with the same name. This can easily happen when uploading photos and videos from multiple devices to a single Dropbox account.

There is no way to change this behavior when using Camera Uploads. If you don't want the files renamed, you'll need to upload them to Dropbox manually.

8 Replies
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Norman, whenever you use automatic camera uploads, it renames it to the date and time of the photo according to its metadata.

Are you also using the Dropbox desktop application to upload photos, or just the mobile app?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

1. Date as name is double, also findable at Exif and properties

2. I use the desktop dropbox version to upload the photos to Camara Uploads

Super User II

Renaming the files to a date and time stamp is done to avoid multiple files being uploaded with the same name. This can easily happen when uploading photos and videos from multiple devices to a single Dropbox account.

There is no way to change this behavior when using Camera Uploads. If you don't want the files renamed, you'll need to upload them to Dropbox manually.

Level 3

Thanks.

But problem 2 ( why are the RAW photos (DNG) not synchronized?) is not not solved

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Could you describe how you’re importing the images? 

Are you using the mobile app with automatic camera uploads, or are you connecting the phone to the computer using a cable and the Dropbox desktop application imports the images that way?

Are the DNG files being stored in a different location to your normal images? Could they be in a separate subfolder on your Android?

Any info you can provide would be helpful.

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

I use Dropbox with automatic camara upload.

I use the App "Camera FV-5". This creates a JPG and a DNG photo file and stores both of these in the DCIM/100_CFV5 folder. When synchronizing via WiFi, only the JPG file is synchronized.

If I change the storage location to DCIM or DCIM/Camera, that does not matter.

I think that the problem is possible due to the name of both files eg: IMG_161.JPG and IMG_161.DNG with the same date and time or due to the size difference 735 kB versus 23.2 MB

It is strange that the previous month went well. In my Dropbox folder there are several DNG files that month.

The only way is to manually transfer at home via USB.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info, I have a few more questions regarding this matter.

- When did this start happening exactly? 
- Does this issue affect all DNG photos, or only some? You can check the events page to see if DNG files have synced during the last month if need be. 
- Do you have another app that backs up or edits your photos? If so, what’s the name of this app?
- Can you include a screenshot of the “Photos” tab in the Dropbox app? (please note: this is the "Photos" tab, not a folder called 'Photos')
- Can you ensure that camera uploads is enabled? On Android devices this can be found in the app, tap the menu button > the gear icon > under Camera uploads, select “Turn on camera uploads".
- If already enabled, try disabling it and then re-enabling it to see if this helps.
- Can you include a screenshot of the camera uploads settings in the Dropbox app? To find settings on Android, tap the menu button and then scroll to “camera uploads.” 

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Level 3

Do not be home in the next two days. Then I will respond to your questions.

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Photos and Videos.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post