cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploading slideshows from Mac

Uploading slideshows from Mac

evennewerbie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi. 

I have used Dropbox from iPad not very intensively just putting up a series of photos for family and friends now and then over the last few years.

Now I have started using it with my Mac Photos. I have it up at the top of this screen and it is half evident what to do, at least enough for me to find a way. I click upload, this leads to all my Mac files, I go to Photos, and I see a layout similar to that when I open Photos in Mac. I see my albums for example. I haven't found yet a way if there is one of uploading an album directly, but I hope and one and uploaded all the photos in it, after which I as this would result in a mess if I leave it like that, collected the lot all up and put them in a folder. Perhaps this procedure can be improved but that's not my main question at the moment which is:

I want to upload slideshows that I have prepared in Mac. I said " I see a layout similar to that when I open Photos in Mac" -  it's similar but not identical. In Mac Photos beneath my albums in the bar on the left, I see a section called "Projects" which is where my slide shows have gone. But when I access in the way I explained above via from dropbox, this section does not appear! So I have stuff ready, and people ready to receive it, but don't know how to get it to them,

I hope somebody can point me to this. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

evennewerbie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have solved these problems now.

Is quite simple to upload slideshows to dropbox on the Mac.

Be in the slideshow, just press 'Export' (for misunderstandings that are irrelevant now I was reluctant tell it to do that) and it gives you the choice where to export including Dropbox. Tell it to do that, and it uploads them in a number of minutes. That was all.

I just hadn't found instructions saying that somehow.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @evennewerbie

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let's look into that together! 

Please keep in mind that the Slideshow feature on your Mac is a way to organise your photos locally on your device. Dropbox, on the other hand, is a collaborative syncing tool that aims to update your files both across your devices & online. 

That being said, if you'd like your Slideshows to be mirrored online in Dropbox, you'd have to upload the contents (namely the pictures), online in a new folder, which you can then share, so as to grant others access to the contents. Otherwise, you can also create a folder on your Dropbox folder on your Mac and copy your pictures there.

If you'd like the recipients to view the files as a presentation, let me suggest having a look at Dropbox Paper instead though, that has a presentation mode, which may help you accomplish something similar to how your Slideshows appear. 

Hope this is helpful to you, please let me know if you need more details in your reply!

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

evennewerbie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you.

When you say is 'a way to organise your photos on Mac', it is surprisingly intelligent program, I am finding, that turns a fairly ornery slide sequence into a more dynamic and interesting presentation, with display effects, music etc. This is above all desirable when you want to share it, hardly just for oneself. So having organised a few shows like this the way wanted, I wanted to share that already created thing via dropbox.

So I understand you are telling me I can't do that, I have to load the raw photos into dropbox and then change them into a slideshow with a dropbox routine.

That partly corresponds with my experience. I was unable to see from Dropbox uploading routine the slideshows I have created, working in the manner I indicated in my first post. Also I have tried to have dropbox and Mac photos up on split screen and drag-and-drop. But what to drag-and-drop? It would be natural to highlight the item on the list of albums and drag-and-drop that. But that only drops the title, and I'm told the file has no content.

For extra confusion, I have managed to create in Mac and send to friends via dropbox one slideshow with fancy effects. I don't remember how though, and I think I did it in my iPad. I am wondering whether the reason one worked and the one I'm trying now doesn't is that in the first use the same title in my original photo file us in the slideshow, in the second case I used the different titles for the album and the slideshow.

It has become rather difficult for me to look at Photos on my iPad, it has gone rather unstable.

Among the things I read on the web on the subject one said that Apple doesn't particularly want people to use dropbox, but would like us to use its own AirDrop and that Dropbox hasn't been very on the ball in reacting. Since my present correspondentds all have iPhones and iPads, it looks like I shall have to conform and use airdrop.

evennewerbie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have solved these problems now.

Is quite simple to upload slideshows to dropbox on the Mac.

Be in the slideshow, just press 'Export' (for misunderstandings that are irrelevant now I was reluctant tell it to do that) and it gives you the choice where to export including Dropbox. Tell it to do that, and it uploads them in a number of minutes. That was all.

I just hadn't found instructions saying that somehow.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @evennewerbie

Thanks for updating the thread here, I appreciate that a lot!

It was my misunderstanding that this could not be done, please accept my apologies for that. I was able to reproduce on a Mac OS Sierra as of today and you are right indeed (Dropbox was on the options to Export when the Slideshow was created), though this was not an option on a different device that I had tested it previously. Please keep in mind that this is a functionality on your desktop or laptop, though, which allows you to create mp3 files, which can then be uploaded (namely imported) on Dropbox. 

I was glad to hear that this was resolved though and you can now transfer your slideshows across your devices. :robot:

Please feel free to get back in touch here at any time if you have any other Dropbox questions, it'll be a pleasure to work with you again in the future!

Happy syncing, 

JaneA

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?