cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Very Slow to Upload and then freezes

Very Slow to Upload and then freezes

LH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have been trying to upload a folder of photos and I find Dropbox very slow to upload and this time, it got stuck on one file and does not seem to progress. I have a macbook pro Sierra 10.12. 

Not sure what I need to do to speed up things as this been taking hours. Would welcome advice on the fastest method to upload in general. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional screenshots, @LH4! They definitely provide a clearer understanding of what you’re seeing; I’ve gone ahead and removed elements of them for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern though, it does seem like a large upload. Please bear in mind that files or folders that you upload through the website must be 50 GB or smaller.

In this case then, I’d kindly recommend trying to upload through the website in smaller batches, or try uploading them through the desktop or mobile apps, which don’t have a file size limit.

Let me know how it goes! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @LH4

Could you please clarify if you’re trying to upload these files through the website or the desktop app? If you’re doing this through the desktop app, could you please send me a screenshot of what the Dropbox icon reads that’s next to your desktop’s clock when you click on it (omitting personal info)?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

minikane
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try uploading half the folder first? then the second half after?

(can also have problems if you hitting your data limit? or space limit?

LH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have dragged and dropped the folder using the website not the app. I have taken screenshots of the  dropbox menu but cannot seem to be able to attach any files just now.I am getting 'an unexpected error has occurred'. I have about 12 GB of memeory left so that is why I need to upload files onto dropbox !

On the whole, I find it frustrating it slow to copy files onto dropbox. If you know of a quicker method, let me know.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply, @LH4

Since you’re uploading through the website, please remember that each file or folder that you upload must be 50 GB or smaller. For larger files or folders, use the desktop or mobile apps, which don’t have a file size limit.

If the you’re still having trouble uploading it via the website, could you please try switching to another browser, using incognito, and ensuring that you’re not running any browser extensions? 

Furthermore, if you have the desktop app running and your hard drive is close to being out of space, you can selectively sync some of your folders, which will unsync them, removing them locally from your computer, freeing up space on your device. You can find more info about this here

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

LH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Many thanks for all your help.

I was using Chrome as a browser, I must say I never heard of Incognito. Are there any other browsers you would recommend that I may already have such as Safari ? 

I might have explained my upload method incorrectly : I use the Dropbox icon on my bookmarks menu then dragged files onto the main files page as shown on screenshots below.Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.png 

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 22.png

[personal info removed]

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional screenshots, @LH4! They definitely provide a clearer understanding of what you’re seeing; I’ve gone ahead and removed elements of them for security and privacy purposes. 

Moving on to your concern though, it does seem like a large upload. Please bear in mind that files or folders that you upload through the website must be 50 GB or smaller.

In this case then, I’d kindly recommend trying to upload through the website in smaller batches, or try uploading them through the desktop or mobile apps, which don’t have a file size limit.

Let me know how it goes! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

The upload hangs if your file is too large.  Unfortunately Dropbox cannot issue an

error message such as "File exceeds 50GB" during a browser based upload. Dropbox does not have this size limit if you put the file into your dropbox folder.

LH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Many thanks for your help. I will manage the uploads in smaller chunks from now on.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?