cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Video quality during playback only low res why ?

Improving Dropbox video preview quality - thinking outside the box

Robert K JSS Tech
Explorer | Level 3

The poor quality of the Dropbox transcoded preview has been discussed over the years, particularly between 2015-2017.

Over the last six years, internet speeds have changed remarkably and online streaming is now commonplace.

So our clients are unforgiving in their distaste for the Dropbox preview product.

Dropbox has made it plain, that as far as they are concerned the solution is just download. However many many clients want to be sure the product is right for them before they download.

Thinking outside the box, if we load two versions of each video, one optimised for preview, of smaller file size etc.(so clients can be sure its the product they want- but we can be certain that for instance, the preview won't be out of audio/vision sync)  and the full res version for them to download.

Surely the Dropbox engineers who work on the auto transcoding know the optimum specs for the preview file?

Can that please be shared with your clients? ( after all we are supposedly on the same team) 

87 Replies 87

Rich
Super User II

uEduard wrote:

Well, in this case, Dropbox at least should consider, informing the users, to download the video in order to get the full HD quality.

They already do. The message appears if the video is paused, or when the 15-minute preview time has been reached.

bca4a38197f9172e2624d4e36632bac6.png

uEduard
New member | Level 2
That message should be all the time, not if you pause the video of 15 minutes have passed. My videos are no longer than a few minutes so that should be displayed all the time.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hey @uEduard

You make some good suggestions here about video playback, and I’m letting our team know about them. Thanks for the feedback! 

Cheers 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

derloopkat
Helpful | Level 5
What I need is preventing the user to open the video. Only download should be allowed. Not giving the opportunity to watch this rubbish is essential.

Mark
Super User II

Hi Derloopkat - when you send the link alter it so that it is forced to download

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/force-download

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dojima
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for the solution. It's hilarious this is even an issue. When you share a file with someone, you expect that they're going to receive, bit-for-bit, the exact file intended—not some transcoded, inferior garbage version. If I wanted someone to mangle my video files, YouTube already does a perfectly acceptable job of that. Dropbox is basically using people's ignorance as a way to try to save bandwidth under the guise of a feature. Sure it's possible to share videos in full quality...that is, if you're willing to take the time to figure out how to do it. Silly. Glad I'm not paying for this abomination.

Rich
Super User II

dojima wrote:
Sure it's possible to share videos in full quality...that is, if you're willing to take the time to figure out how to do it.

Doesn't take much time to click "Download."

dojima
Helpful | Level 5

Clicking download has nothing to do with 'sharing' it in full quality. To 'share' it in full quality, you have to use Mark's solution.

Let me break it down for you: let's suppose I'm trying to share a video. I create a link and give it to someone. Unless they have previous knowledge of how Dropbox works, they have no idea they're watching a transcoded video on the link I provided to them. Indeed, as people in this thread have mentioned, their clients thought something was wrong when they were provided a video that cut off after 15 minutes. It wouldn't occur to the ordinary person to download the video in that situation, and it doesn't occur to the uploader that their file will be altered, since it's not mentioned anywhere, and that's not the default behavior on any cloud storage site that I'm aware of other than Dropbox. I just happened to find out because I checked the link. Further, even if I know that the file has been altered, there's no intuitive way to find a link that I can share with someone without Googling. I first tried removing '?dl=0'. That doesn't work either.

In the Dropbox "About us" page, they state, "When people put their files in Dropbox, they can trust they’re secure and their data is their own."  People are rightfully upset about this issue.  A transcoded video is certainly not my own data.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
@dojima, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this, and I’m sending your feedback on to our team. 

Thanks

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hi everyone,
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT
Thank you!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?