cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having an issue opening the videos I've downloaded from Dropbox on my phone & desktop.

I'm having an issue opening the videos I've downloaded from Dropbox on my phone & desktop.

Mickeymouse1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have dropbox on my phone and computer. I am not able to open any old videos or current videos.  I am getting a message " can't play, choose something else, this item is in a format we don't suport".

My old videos were opening up and now they aren't.

What has changed and how can I fix this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to make sure you have a program on your computer that can open them. Thats nothing to do with Dropbox I'm afraid.

I suggest trying VLC player.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To follow up on this, keep in mind that the Dropbox folder in your computer, acts in many ways like a normal folder, so the files you want to open - the videos in this case - will use the program you have installed for video previewing. Same goes with your mobile phone app.

The website is another thing, as it has certain filetypes that can be previewed. You can find a complete list here:https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/file-types-that-preview

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to make sure you have a program on your computer that can open them. Thats nothing to do with Dropbox I'm afraid.

I suggest trying VLC player.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mickeymouse1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

They were opening a while ago and now they aren't.  I still have the same computer so why won't they open now?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Thats something to do with your computer Mickeymouse1 I'm afraid and not something I can answer 😞

You may be able to get more appropriate help on an suitable movie playing forum rather than Dropbox.

Vernon
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To follow up on this, keep in mind that the Dropbox folder in your computer, acts in many ways like a normal folder, so the files you want to open - the videos in this case - will use the program you have installed for video previewing. Same goes with your mobile phone app.

The website is another thing, as it has certain filetypes that can be previewed. You can find a complete list here:https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/file-types-that-preview

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I answer your question?---> Accept as Solution White check mark :nerd:
Kudos are always welcome! :bacon:

njdjninja
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

all the videos in my dropbox will open and they all use the same player but this one won't open with that same player. It was made with the same program as the others. Why won't it open?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @njdjninja - Welcome to our Community and thanks for posting your question here.

Can you make sure you have not tampered with the file's extension?

If for example you upload a .mov file, the name of the file has to end in .mov for other applications/programs to recognize and be able to open it normally.  Is it possible that you renamed this file and removed its extension somehow?

If this is not the case, please provide as much info as possible in order to have a better look into it. Few things to check here would be the file's size, type and if you are able to open it on another device or even preview it on the web

I hope this information helps and please let me know what you find.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to Ask help from the Community here.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    njdjninja New member | Level 2
    Vernon Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    Mickeymouse1 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?