cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I see Dropbox photos in Windows Photo Gallery or Crashplan?

Why can't I see Dropbox photos in Windows Photo Gallery or Crashplan?

Theodore B.3
New member | Level 2

Recently, I've run into a problem where photos stored in Dropbox are not appearing in the Photos app included with Windows 10. At first, I thought this was a bug with the Photos app itself and sought support through Microsoft about it. However, when checking my Crashplan backup, I noticed that it wasn't recognizing any of the photos saved on my Dropbox either.

Both Crashplan and the Windows 10 Photos app have no problem finding pictures located anywhere else on my computer, even in Google Drive, but something about Dropbox is blocking them from seeing any photos. What exactly is going on?

ETA: I feel like I should clarify that the photos are visible in Windows Explorer, Dropbox, and Carousel without any problem at all. I've also included the photos's folders in the Windows Photos app. The photos exist, but simply aren't accessible by Crashplan or the Photos app.

7 Replies 7

Steve T.51
New member | Level 1

Same problem.  Windows 10 Photos App does not find any readable files in any of my Dropbox folders.  No luck finding a solution so far...

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9

I'm another one with the same problem.  Just purchased a new computer with Windows 10 and have spent the last 90 minutes trying to get this working.  Finally logged on here and found this.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Theodore B.3
New member | Level 2

Hi, posting again to say I was able to fix the problem. At least the problem I was having. It appears to have been a user privileges issue for me. Try checking the users and groups with read/write access to your Dropbox against those of another, working folder in your Picture library and change accordingly. There was a system group that didn't have the necessary access in my case.

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9

Theodore B. --

You are the man!  Works perfect.  Many thanks!

Li E.
New member | Level 2

When I hook my camera up to the computer, it used to show the photos on the dropbox screen.

Now I can't find them. In very very SIMPLE English could someone please please explain to me

what has gone wrong and how to fix it. I have a new computer with Windows 10 (which I HATE HATE HATE with a passion).

Thanks for your help!

Monty
New member | Level 2

Theodore - just to expand on your answer (which was really helpful and correct).

I went to my original Pictures folder (the non-Dropbox one), right-clicked and selected properties, then Security tab and saw  that permissions for SYSTEM were 'Allow' for all.

I then went to my Dropbox photos folder, right clicked, Properties => Security tab, clicked 'Edit', checked the top 'Full Access' box, which then checked all the rest. Clicked 'Ok'

Suddenly it all whirred into action and the photos in my Dropbox folder have been recognised by the Windows Photo app.

Many thanks!

dlo2017
New member | Level 2

Both folders have the same security settings for me, and yet the dropbox pictures folder cannot be seen in Windows Photos. I can specifically add it, and it will show, but at the next reboot (or later) they will just have disappeared again. After a reboot I actually saw them all disappearing...

What to do? Any alternative solutions?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dlo2017 New member | Level 2
    Monty New member | Level 2
    Li E. New member | Level 2
    Scott N.15 Collaborator | Level 9
    Theodore B.3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?