cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Why is the aspect ratio on my files is different now?

Up until a couple months ago, video that I uploaded to Dropbox would play back at the proper wide aspect ratio in all browsers.  Something has changed and now the aspect ratio is compressed in Chrome and in Opera but displays correctly in Safari and Firefox.  If you download the video, it also displays correctly.  I've been using the same process to share video for several years without any issues like this.  Wondering what changed.

Tags (2)
15 Replies

Re: aspect ratio

Dropboxer

Initially, please bear in mind that, in general, we don’t alter your files.

Having said that, could you try this out through a private browser, ensure that you’re not running any browser extensions, and also clear any previous settings that may apply? 

Let me know of any updates! upside-down face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

I've already tried this at home and shared it with others with the same results.  Videos that used to be correct are now compressed, and as I pointed out, it's only compressed when viewing in Chrome and Opera, but looks correct in Safari and Firefox.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, @soc7video57

Could you also clarify if you recently updated your Chrome and Opera browsers by any chance? nerd face

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

I'm not sure when I last updated Chrome but it hasn't been too long and I uploaded Opera after I discovered the problem just to see how the video looked there, so I can assume it was the latest version.

Dropboxer
Hmm. thinking face If I were in your shoes, the first thing I’d ensure is that the settings of the browser(s) are set to play the video correctly. As such, I’d kindly recommend surfing the web a bit to see how you could do this as I’m not able to provide much input on this. 

Nonetheless, if you’re still having trouble with this, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Not sure if this added observation can help, but when I open the video file, but before I click the arrow to "play" the aspect ratio appears correct.  Once I hit the play arrow, the aspect ratio gets condenced to an incorrect aspect ratio.

Hi 

I am experiencing exactly the same issues and find Lusil's advice inadequate and rather patronising.

This is clearly an issue with Drop Box as I play video through my Chrome browser from several other platforms without the compression issue that you describe.

May I ask, have you been able to resolve the issue?

I have been sharing video files through drop box as part of my work for years and this is a recent development which seriously affects the quality of the clips I'm sharing.

If I can't resolve this, I will have to give up my Drop Box account and use another file sharing platform.

Stephen

Dropboxer
Hi there @Billiybimble, sorry to hear that you’re also experiencing this behavior. 

I’ve sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile to have a more in-depth look on this. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. Thank you!

Lusil

No - never got resolved and so I just gave up on it.  I did discover this though -  on Chrome and Opera the video plays with a compressed aspect ratio. But viewing the games on Safari or Firefox videos display in the proper aspect ratio.

Still it's frustrating, since I've been using Dropbox to display videos with a group for about 5 years and then this change happenned and not the old videos diplay inproperly too - but then again, it's only viewing through the Dropbox browser in Chrome or Opera.

Photos and videos

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Why is the aspect ratio on my files is different now?
15 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post